Our Honeymoon // Cusco and the Sacred Valley

peru / a thousand threads
For our honeymoon, we wanted to do something we’d never forget, and when we thought about it, we realized that some of our most amazing trips together have also been our biggest adventures.  So in the end, after considering a ton of different possibilities, we decided that we’d head to Peru, where we could not just relax, but also tackle a bucket list trek.

It’s not everyone’s idea of the perfect honeymoon… but for us, it couldn’t have been better.

Our trip to Peru was beautiful, emotional, surprising, and really really amazing in so many ways.  And while the biggest event was no doubt our unbelievable 4 day trek on the Inca Trail, Cusco and the Sacred Valley stole my heart in a way I didn’t know they would.

We stayed three nights in Urumbaba and one in Cusco and really, I could have stayed forever… the food, the people, those mountains… I didn’t think I’d find the kind of serenity I expected on the trail from the moment I settled in our first hotel but from the second I arrived I felt nothing but calm.

peru / a thousand threadsperu / a thousand threadscusco / a thousand threadscusco / a thousand threadsburro / a thousand threadsurumbaba / a thousand threadsperu / a thousand threadsperu / a thousand threads
Our hotel in Urumbaba was seriously one of the nicest I’ve ever stayed in (not least because Peruvian hospitality is really like nothing I’ve ever experienced).  If you ever plan a trip to Machu Picchu, stay in Urumbaba and stay here.

… and swim in the pool ’cause it’s kind of unreal.

I have tons more pictures and stories to share — hopefully in manageable chunks — feel free to let me know when I start to border on the slide show, I’ll try to control myself.

Hope everyone is having a good start to their week!  And tell me, what big trips are on your bucket list?  Would you consider ticking one of them off on your honeymoon?

1. Kami
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

wow – amazing. Love these pictures. Also, i’m going through and I’m like, “Oh, how cute on the little kid eating a popsicle, and then again, “Oh, how cute on the little dog!! – Their dogs and their people – too CUTE!

2. Posted December 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

i think this sounds like a perfect honeymoon! i’ve always wanted to go!

3. Posted December 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

AMAZING! I love that you guys decided to have such an adventure–it’s definitely unforgettable!

My mama’s best friend is Peruvian and takes groups to Machu Picchu every summer–can you believe I’m the only one who hasn’t been yet? Silly me!

4. Posted December 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

aghh!!!! amazing photos! tx for sharing them!

5. Posted December 4, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Oh, such a lovely place to go for your honeymoon. My sister’s husband has family in Peru and they went down to visit a few years ago. It is just breathtaking there.

6. Heather Bickle
    Posted December 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

We LOVE your blog! We are from Ontario Canada and are planning a honeymoon to Peru (4 day inca trail hike, 2 nights in amazon, and we would love a couple nights on a beach. If you have a moment I’d love some tips! Hotels you stayed at/ would recommend, beach hotels, restaurants. We will be flying in and out of Lima.

Your blog made us set our Peru honeymoon dreams into a reality. We were unsure but then we found you, and your wedding was so beautiful and oddly matched our vision/ plans we took it as a sign to go with Peru!

heatherbickle@hotmail.com

Thanks for your blog (and time)
    Canadian admirer Heather

2 Trackbacks

• By Our Wedding // The Party on May 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm

[…] After a few more drinks and a few more bites of cake, the last of us gathered around the fire to wind down, and to speculate whether the little metal soldier in the corner really was getting up and walking around in the middle of the night (I think the little guy was supposed to be Napoleon, who knows what he might have been up to…).  Then Mark and I headed off to bed, woke up to a beautiful brunch send-off, then drove straight to the airport for our honeymoon… […]

• By Rhubarb pisco sour | A Thousand Threads on April 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

[…] never did have a chance to try the guinea pig in Peru, but we did sample plenty of pisco, and we’ve been drinking it ever […]