Our Honeymoon // The Inca Trail

One of the first adventures Mark and I ever talked about taking was to the Inca Trail. We’d both always wanted to see Machu Picchu, and the trail made it feel like some untouched, unreachable place (even though these days it’s anything but). Once, early on, Mark even brought me a magazine with a picture of Machu Picchu on the front just because we’d talked about it so much. We promised each other that someday, we’d go.

Since then, the Inca Trail has joined a long list of dream treks we hope to accomplish… and since it’s one of the shortest (this is my ultimate) and can’t be completed without guides and porters (something a little more luxurious than the 30 lb packs and tuna in a bag we’re used to) it seemed like the perfect honeymoon adventure

inca trail / a thousand threadsinca trail / a thousand threads
We considered a lot of other alternatives, but none of them quite fit the way Peru did… so we went for it, and reasoned that if the combination of the wedding weekend followed by a 4 day trek to almost 14,000 feet really killed us, at least we’d have a few days at the beach at the end of the trip defuse.

our guide carlos / a thousand threadsinca trail / a thousand threadsinca trail / a thousand threads
But it didn’t. The trek was hard as hell, don’t get me wrong — in fact, combine a 4,000 foot ascent straight up on day 2 with the thinnest air my lungs have ever seen and ya, I was dying a little — but the hard work was rewarded with some of the most amazing views I’ve ever seen, some seriously gourmet camp food (I don’t even know how they do it, but Peruvian porters are geniuses with a camp stove), and more than one very relaxing evening under the stars.

inca trail / a thousand threadsinca trail / a thousand threadsinca trail / a thousand threads
(Those guys above were incredible… running up hills that ruined us and laughing and drinking chicha – Peruvian corn beer – along the way. Apparently, a race was held one year to see how quickly some of the fastest porters could run the trail, and the winner finished in 3 hours and 45 minutes… on a trail that took us 4 days. We were in awe of them and continue to be so grateful to them for making our trip an incredible experience.

If you ever decide to do the Inca Trail, here are a few things to keep in mind about your porters.)

inca trail / a thousand threads
The Inca Trail was hands down the best, most rewarding and amazing part of our whole trip (honestly, better than I ever expected) and in the end I’m so glad we decided to include it. Our trip just wouldn’t have been the same.

Let me know if you ever decide to go, I’d love to tell you more — our guide was the best!

1. Posted December 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

This is INCREDIBLE! I’m so jealous – seeing Machu Piccu and hiking the Inca Trail are at the very top of my bucket list :-)

2. Posted December 4, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

That’s it–we just have to go!

3. Posted December 4, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

What a FABULOUS trip and gorgeous photos!! Such an awesome experience and I bet the view was amazing too :)

4. Posted December 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

What an amazing hike! I can’t believe that guy did it in a couple hours. I might make it up in a month. lol! Like you said though, those views make it worth it!

5. Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Amazing. My husband would love to do something like this…I don’t know if I could keep up! Your photos are stunning.

Posted December 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alli!! I bet you could. :)

6. Posted March 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

you are blessed, laicie! hubby and i have been thinking about a trip to the inca trail for a really long time! thanks for the info! looking at your photos, i cant believe we havent done it yet!

Posted March 5, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Oh you have to go! It was such an amazing experience — even better than I’d ever imagined. Let me know if you do decide to take the trip, I have some great recommendations!!

7. Sonia
    Posted August 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I came across your blog whilst searching the net for honeymoons on the inca trail. My fincé and i have been together 12 years and so the wedding itself isn’t a great adventure as we have already committed to eachother for life by choosing to have 2 children! So we wnt our honeymoon to be a great adventure we can overcome together. As we are also keen explorers, the Inca Trail seems like the obvious choice. Do you have any practical advice for us? What to take, who to book with, where to go for a few days at the beach after? etc… ANy advice would be gratefully received! Thanks :-)

Posted August 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Sonia! That’s so exciting, you two are going to have an amazing time in Peru — good choice! We loved it so much. A few things: It’s worth staying a day or two in the Cusco/Sacred Valley area before/after your hike, both to acclimate to the altitude and also just to check it out. The area is pretty amazing. And if you decide to stay in the Sacred Valley, check out the Tambo del Inka hotel — it’s like a vacation all on its own, and there’s so much amazing food in town just a short walk away. In Cusco, it seems really odd to say, but we had some of the best sushi of our lives at Limo — and, of course, amazing ceviche. And if you decide to try guinea pig (I wish we had!) we noticed that you need to order a day in advance at most restaurants, so keep that in mind! (We might have just been looking in the wrong place.) As for the hike, we had an AMAZING time with Explorandes. They’re a Peruvian company, have super knowledgeable guides and amazing local porters, and the groups are small, so it feels almost like a private excursion. The food is great (gourmet, even, for a backpacking trip — so much more than we were used to) the equipment is high quality… I really can’t say enough great things about this group. We had a really fantastic experience. Last but not least, the beach! We loved Mancora, but the trip there is super long (a flight plus a 4 hour drive) and, to be honest, the beach is just okay. It might be worth it (and I don’t think it would cost any more) to fly to another South American country to hit the beach. I can’t recommend one in particular, but I know that there’s a little something for everyone, whatever you might be looking for! Enjoy your trip, I hope some of this helps! If you think about it, stop back by and tell me how it goes! I’d love to live vicariously through your experience, I’m missing it all so much just writing to you now!

3 Trackbacks

• By Happy Valentines Day! | A Thousand Threads on February 14, 2014 at 8:40 am

[…] Eye these beautiful shots of Peru — now and forever, the most romantic place in the world. […]

• By Wanderlust | A Thousand Threads on April 4, 2014 at 10:17 am

[…] the sun and the sand and the lavender fields of the south. We haven’t left the country since our honeymoon, and we’re both feeling the itch for a nice, relaxing […]

• By Rhubarb pisco sour | A Thousand Threads on April 23, 2014 at 11:02 am

[…] I think of Peru, my mind wanders to a tent above the clouds; a hotel pool in Urumbaba; sweet, delicious meals and finally, always, the porters who guided us, […]