Christmas at the White House

IMG_0257IMG_0290
In all of the time I’ve lived in the DC area, I’ve never stepped foot in the east wing of the White House… so this year when an invitation for a Christmas tour hit my inbox I kind of jumped for joy… the national tree is one thing, but to see each room of the residence in all its Christmas glory… totally another.

I’m a big geek for the china patterns and portraits, and especially all of the history held within those walls. It was fun to walk through and imagine Jackie greeting guests in the Vermeil Room, Teddy Roosevelt’s children sneaking a tiny tree into the Green Room… Sasha and Malia playing in the East Garden Room…

Okay the Teddy one is at least partially true.

Keep going for a few shots from my favorite rooms and a recipe from the White House Pastry Kitchen…

IMG_0259IMG_0261IMG_0260
Our program was seriously cute, and included a DIY project for an upside-down jar snow globe (kind of like this) along with a holiday recipe… and I love a good ginger snap, so I thought I’d share it before it’s too late… just in case you’re still looking for something to feed Santa.

Ginger Crinkles
A recipe from the White House Pastry Kitchen

8oz (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup molasses
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in large mixing bowl until creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add molasses and fresh ginger.
5. Combine flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
6. Add the flour mixture to large mixing bowl, and stir until combined.
7. Use a small spoon to scoop cookies into small balls, dip in 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet sugar side up.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, or less if you like them chewy.
9. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

Yields 30-36 cookies.

1. Posted December 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, how gorgeous! I never visited the White House in the years we lived in Baltimore, and it’s one of my big regrets!

2. Posted December 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

That is amazing… I’m sure it must’ve bee a fabulous experience!

3. Posted December 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

How stunning!!! Definitely want to visit this during the holidays if I’m ever there! So incredible 🙂
    xo TJ

4. Posted December 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Wow, this is gorgeous! What a fabulous experience to get a tour when it’s all decorated!

5. Posted December 20, 2012 at 6:45 am | Permalink

More quaint that expected. Very lovely as well. Love the Jackie portrait.

Posted December 20, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

So in love with that portrait and that room! These are definitely a couple of the smaller rooms, but all around the residence is very cozy. 🙂

6. Posted January 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Wow, that must have been amazing – even better to see it during Christmastime!