Christmas Tradition

non-tree
Each year growing up, my family would gather on Christmas Eve for clam chowder and a slightly confused version of a singapore sling… and to this day I can’t let a single year go by without a big bowl and a bright red drink (or two) by my side.

Traditions don’t have to be traditional… in fact I think there are as many quirky variations out there as there are families.

What are a few of your family’s holiday traditions?  And have you kept them alive?

Photo via.

1. Posted December 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful Christmas tradition! Even though we’re not religious, my family always attends midnight Christmas Eve services at the colonial-era church in our tiny town. Singing Silent Night with the church lit by only candlelight is one of the most magical times of year for me.

Posted December 21, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Aww Lena you’re right, that’s one of my favorites too. I love midnight mass. :)

2. Posted December 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

What a gorgeous tree! Our tradition is watching Christmas Vacation – which may be the best movie of all time!

Posted December 21, 2012 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Totally the best movie of all time.

3. Posted December 21, 2012 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Fun! I have never had that drink or chowder, but I should probably change that…

Here are my top 3 favorite traditions:
    1. Granny making Christmas Eve pizza.
    2. Snuggling with my sister and watching “Little Women.”
    3. Dressing up, even though no one else does!

Posted December 21, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Aww I love the idea of Christmas Eve pizza! And I’m the only one who dresses up too… it’s one of the best parts! :)

4. Posted December 21, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

I LOVE family traditions for the holidays. Every Christmas morning my siblings and I always get books from “Santa” in our rooms for us to open as soon as we wake up to keep us pre-occupied while everyone else wakes up. I love looking forward to what book I get each year! :)
    xo TJ

Posted December 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh TJ that is the BEST tradition! I might have to steal this!

5. Posted December 26, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

this is such an amazing idea! i should do this next year. i’m not really good with any kind of plants, they usually die within some days when they are mine. ;)

kissboombang, lilly.