Maple Bacon Pancakes

maple bacon pancakes / a thousand threads
Sundays are always our laziest days, but they’re also our most ritualistic. We make our way out of bed slowly, then down to the kitchen to cook up a big breakfast and tune in to the Sunday shows. Mark usually runs to the store, because no matter how many times we make the same waffles or pancakes we never seem to be fully prepared (the secret is that when he has to go out, he usually brings back coffee… so why would we ever prepare?).

We usually make the same few things… waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, banana or some kind of berry pancakes, or lately, well… these.

maple bacon pancakes / a thousand threads
Now before you start cursing me do take notice of the applesauce that has been dutifully substituted for oil, and of course the whole wheat option… plus the cottage cheese has to count for something.

Then go ahead and add a pound of bacon, a pad of butter, and a generous helping of maple syrup and curse away.

It’s okay, it’ll be worth it.

bacon pancakes / a thousand threads
Maple Bacon Pancakes
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

6-8 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
1 3/4 cups all-purpose white or whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons applesauce
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon maple syrup

Cook bacon and chop into small (~1/4 inch) pieces, set aside.

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, milk, and applesauce. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Stir in cottage cheese, vanilla, and maple syrup.

For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. After batter is spread, cover with chopped bacon, then flip. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm, topped with more bacon and syrup. Makes 12 standard-size pancakes or 40 dollar-size pancakes.

1. Posted March 28, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Oh man, this looks AMAZING! I love all your food posts!

2. Posted March 28, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

W O W –and so timely! Someone brought maple bacon donuts into the office and I bet these would be even more amazing!

3. Posted March 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Oh my. Bacon and pancakes? That’s like a party in your mouth. Seriously, I’ve got some free time on my hands and I am kinda hungry right now. I might just whip these up. Who cares if it’s late afternoon? That’ll make it taste that much better.

4. Annie Olson
    Posted March 28, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh…I love this….I just wanna take a bite out of that one with the syrup pouring over it..I also love your food post…you and Mark have the yummy thing cornered…And those pics are amazing!!!

5. Posted March 29, 2013 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Oh my heavens. It’s morning right now and I was just debating what I should make my hungry tummy when I ran across this. This looks AMAZING. Now if only I can summon the energy to do all that work haha. Also, I love the trick of making your hubby go get groceries so he also gets coffee. Oh, that sounds like the best of ways to start your Sunday morning :)

xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

6. Posted March 31, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

This is the perfect combo! Looks amazing! Yummm!

7. Posted June 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

OMG…those look absolutely amazing!!!!

Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you!! Anything with bacon is a winner in my book. :)

8. Posted May 26, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness these caught my eye on Pinterest, they look delicious, I am trying these tomorrow! Come share these on Oh My Heartsie Girl ww!

6 Trackbacks