Future Farmers and Florida Grapefruit (Caramelized Florida Grapefruit)

caramelized grapefruit / a thousand threads
Mark’s work is a veritable smorgasbord of crazy local food options.

Wanna buy half a pig? Sure. Moonshine? Why not. He works in an office… but it’s a small town farm country office and apparently this is standard practice.

So — the FFA kids came in a few weeks ago selling grapefruits and oranges, and at first I thought, how nice! Local grapefruits and oranges… until I remembered that we live in Maryland. Then the whole thing started to seem a little strange. Clearly the future farmers were not going to be doing any farming at all (snake oil salesmen they were!).

I mean I’m sure there are some lovely local fruits you can grow this time of year, yes?

… or do you only plant things in the spring around here? I have such a black thumb.

caramelized grapefruit / a thousand threadscaramelized grapefruit / a thousand threads
Anyway, eventually I got over my bitterness (a whole 3 seconds later) and despite the questionable choice of goods they were peddling, it was the FFA. We like the FFA. I was a 4-H kid myself and there’s no rival gang fight there or anything — we’re supportive all the way.

So we bought a giant box of grapefruits and oranges and let me tell you those unsustainable pesticide filled piles of fruit are DELICIOUS.

Which is good because we’ll be eating them for weeks.

As for the moral of my story? When it all comes down to it and you’re left with a giant box of Florida grapefruit from the future farmers of Maryland… you should really go at some of it with a little sugar and a blowtorch.

Because it’s crazy good… snake oil salesmen aside.

caramelized grapefruit / a thousand threads
To caramelize grapefruit…

Sprinkle two tablespoons of sugar over each half. Hold the blowtorch (about $30 and really fun to have around) about 1-2 inches away from the sugar and heat until golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy!

1. Posted April 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

YUM!!!! citrus fruit is my favorite (a bit obvious since I’m a homegrown Florida girl myself) but have never tried to caramelize! on my to-do list!

2. Posted April 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

OH MY YES, this looks amazing!

3. Posted April 4, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

omg – such beautiful photos! you should frame them!!!

4. Posted April 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

These are so beautiful! I love this recipe.

5. Annie
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

OMG…you are so funny….send one of those snake oil salesmen my way…those look yummy!

6. Posted April 7, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

This looks so beautiful & tasty!

7. Posted April 8, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

This is awesome! Maybe this approach will get me eating grapefruits every once in a while. Beautiful!

8. Posted April 8, 2013 at 9:08 am | Permalink

that looks great! i love grapefruits and this is a nice twist on eating them!

9. Posted April 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I’m gonna have to get a blowtorch 🙂

10. Posted June 16, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!
    ! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I have you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post…

One Trackback