Nutella Strawberry Shortcake

nutella strawberry shortcake / a thousand threadsnutella strawberry shortcake / a thousand threads
We don’t usually keep nutella in the house. I’d love to — but we can’t.

You see, even if we tried it wouldn’t stick around long. Because when it’s in the house I have a bad habit of taking a spoonful every time I pass the kitchen. I know you can sympathize… nutella is just too delicious to leave lonely in the cupboard.

nutella strawberry shortcake / a thousand threads
But when you cook with it — that’s when it really gets dangerous. Then it’s just out there, on the counter, calling to you from a crispy, doughy, carb-filled biscuit… asking to be paired with strawberries and whipped cream…

What I’m trying to say here is that I haven’t stopped eating these since they came out of the oven.

You might need to save me.

nutella strawberry shortcake / a thousand threads
Nutella Strawberry Shortcake
Adapted from here.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup Nutella
Sea salt, for sprinkling on biscuits, optional
Strawberries
2 cups heavy whipping cream

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix in cold butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir with a spatula until just combined. With a knife, gently swirl the Nutella into the biscuit dough.

3. Drop round spoonfuls of dough, about three tablespoons, onto prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle biscuits with sea salt, if desired. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown. Remove from oven, let cool to room temperature.

4. Whip heavy cream with remaining sugar. Slice strawberries. Assemble using two biscuits (one on the bottom, one on the top, like a sandwich) and a generous amount of strawberries and whipped cream.

1. Posted April 16, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

oh we don’t allow ourselves to buy Nutella here! SO dangerous!

That looks beyond delicious though :)

2. Posted April 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Saving you involves eating them, right? Because I can be a hero.

3. Posted April 17, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I love nutella AND strawberry shortcake! This just might be the ultimate dessert for me :-)

4. Posted April 17, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I have the same problem with nutella, your shortcake looks dangerously good!

5. Posted April 17, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I’m the same way with nutella – just can’t buy it! I might have to splurge for this tho – it looks so delish!!

6. Posted April 18, 2013 at 5:29 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness, this shortcake looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe x