How often do you have the itch to redecorate?

joineryjoinery
And how do you scratch it when the budget is low? Do you try to make a few small changes, maybe rearrange some furniture?  Do you buy new pillows, paint a wall, or browse the local yard sales?

Mark and I have lived in our house for close to three years now, and over that time we’ve barely made a change.  So lately we’ve been dying for a little bit of an update.

Right now we’re working on all of the above… and actually those yard sales have yielded some pretty exciting projects that I can’t wait to share. But the process is slow, and we have to be happy with just a little bit of a change here and there, knowing that one of these days we’ll be able to chip away at our wish list and make things look the way we want.

What creative things do you do when you start to have the itch?  Any ideas we should try?

Images via.

1. Posted May 1, 2013 at 5:08 am | Permalink

when i saw the title of this post, i immediately said “OFTEN like all the time”. i actually have a list of what I want for my place and i’m almost half way there on getting all of them scratched off. sometimes, along the way, i delete something, add something else (damn etsy!!). or buy something i didn’t even plan on having in my house. it’s like a never ending process!! good luck and please do share photos of your yard sale or antique shopping finds!

Posted May 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I’m right there with you! So many things I want… and I’ll definitely be sharing our finds soon! 🙂

2. Posted May 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

We ditched John’s enormous desk and want to re-do our living room…but it’s so tough to decide and even harder to make those big purchases! I’ve also had my eye on some brass lamps to spruce up our bedside tables–much more manageable purchases than couch, coffee table, rug, lamps, art…

Posted May 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Lena I think we’re in EXACTLY the same place… OH how I want those big purchases, they’re just so expensive!!

3. Posted May 1, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

how about some simple stenciling and painting? 🙂 that way you don’t have to spend money on new furniture, but get an updated look with just a little bit of chipboard and paint.

Posted May 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

You’re reading my mind! I think our best strategy is to do a ton of painting. 🙂

4. Posted May 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Rigggght?? It helps that I seem to move like once a year so I use that as a chance to redo things that I had been itching to change. But I like finding things on craigslist and yard sales and thrift stores so it hurts the wallet less but I can get that refreshed feeling. And switching out pillows and framed pictures. Simple things can make a big difference!

5. Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Whenever I’m dying to redecorate – which is pretty often – I go with the little things: a new set of bed sheets, some DIY wall art, painting an old piece of furniture… You get something new, and you spend as little as possible!