The Best Mother’s Day Ever // Breakfast in Bed (And Banana-Walnut Pancakes)

banana walnut pancakes / a thousand threads
I’m not going to say that I would mind a sweet new pair of sunglasses, maybe that bathing suit I’ve been coveting… but on Mother’s Day, really, all a lady wants is to feel the love.

As a kid I would make my mom breakfast in bed (and she was always very sweet to stay there – in bed – pretending she was still asleep until I drug my lazy butt into the kitchen and up to her room).

I can’t imagine how the food must have tasted. I commend her now for choking it down. But on those mornings she would ooh and aww and make me feel special just for making her feel special, and it was always a good start to the day.

banana walnut pancakes / a thousand threads
Even though these days I would almost rather jump up and get the day started (I love our Sunday rituals in the kitchen, cooking something tasty while the Sunday shows play in the background… and I’ve already told you about the coffee, it’s like breakfast in bed every day!) there’s something about breakfast in bed that’s just special… I mean why not make a gal feel like she’s on Downton Abbey for a day?

And as busy as life is… sometimes it’s so nice to have an excuse to slow down.

So here’s the thing — I’ve got you covered. Just casually mention how witty and fantastic this post was (shh… I won’t tell) to your significant other and let the guilt take over from there. It’s your day! He gets one too, and it’ll be here in a matter of weeks. You can pay him back then.

banana walnut pancakes / a thousand threads
But just in case you choose the coffee and the Sunday shows over breakfast in bed (just as good or better to me, seriously) I’ve also got a pretty sweet recipe for banana-walnut pancakes that you might want to try…

(On second thought maybe you should mention that part too. Don’t get me started on how easy it is to make pancakes from scratch… he can totally handle it. But if he’s not the most experienced cook, you know, be prepared… just in case. Scout the nearest restaurant, make sure the smoke detectors are working… that kind of thing.)

banana walnut pancakes / a thousand threads
Banana-Walnut Pancakes
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

1 3/4 cups all-purpose white or whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons applesauce
2 bananas, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, milk, and applesauce. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until moistened (just until you can’t see any more powdery flour — the batter should be lumpy). Mix bananas and walnuts into the batter.

For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. Cook over medium heat (the key to perfect pancakes is to not overdo it with the heat… take your time) for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm, topped with butter and syrup. Makes 12 standard-size pancakes or 40 dollar-size pancakes.

1. Posted May 9, 2013 at 8:35 am | Permalink

YUMMY! Those pancakes look SO delicious! Wish I was spending Sunday with my mama!

Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Aww me too! Mine is all the way on the other side of the country. I can’t complain too much right now though – I get to see her next week. 🙂

2. Posted May 9, 2013 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Pancakes are always a good reason for breakfast in bed. I hope you have a great Mother’s Day!

Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I agree!! You too Danielle! 🙂

3. Posted May 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Bananas and walnuts and pancakes, oh my–these look absolutely delicious!

4. Posted May 9, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I never would have guessed to use applesauce. I’ve always heard it was a great sweetener. I love anything with bananas, so these look divine!

Posted May 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

So do I! Bananas are my favorite… and applesauce is fantastic in recipes!! It’s the best substitute for oil… cuts calories, makes the whole recipe healthier and you’ll never (seriously, ever) notice the difference. I sub it in all of my pancake and waffle recipes. 🙂 It works for cake too!

5. Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

It looks heavelny. I wish someone brought me such a breakfast…

6. Posted May 10, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

These pancakes look delicious!!! I never had pancakes with walnuts, but I will definitely try it!! Love the idea!

7. zosia
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I think you meant:
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose white or WHOLE wheat flour, because all-purpose white and wheat flour are the same thing.

Great looking recipe!

Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Thank you Zosia, hope you enjoy it! And thank you for the clarification — I made the change above.

3 Trackbacks

• […] Nothing says “Mom, you’re the best” like banana walnut pancakes in bed. […]

• By Happy Mother's Day! on May 12, 2013 at 7:37 am

[…] And to all of the moms out there, have a happy Mother’s Day!  I hope you were able to talk someone into bringing you breakfast in bed. […]

• By Happy mom's weekend! | A Thousand Threads on May 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm

[…] I hope if you’re a mom, you’re planning to be appropriately pampered — and if you have a mom well, you know what to do. […]