The Five Things I Remember From My Wedding Day

the five things i remember from my wedding day / a thousand threads
Later this week, Mark and I are off to Oregon for one of my best and oldest friends’ weddings.  I’m full of emotion over the trip, not just because I get to go home, but also because I couldn’t be happier to see this lady I love marry a guy who I know will be good to her.  She deserves it more than anyone I know.

So, in the middle of all of this emotion and talking to her about her wedding, particularly the ceremony, I got to thinking about my own day (we just recently passed our six month anniversary by the way!) and realized that these are the five things I remember most…

1 // Our vows.
I spent a ton of time obsessing over every little detail of our ceremony… worrying that because there were so many other things to plan and we put it off to the end that it wouldn’t work, or that we’d forget something, or that something would go wrong.  We considered including a wine ceremony, or incorporating the Quaker tradition of asking friends and family to stand and voice their support (if you’ve ever experienced it, it can be so beautiful and emotional), but in the end we decided to keep it simple and focus on our vows.

I knew it was the most important part and I wanted to get it right… but until the day came, I’m not sure I really knew the impact it would have.  Today, the thing that stands out the most in my mind – more than anything else – is that moment, his face, and those words.

2 // My dad.
His words right before he walked me down the aisle… I’m so thankful for that moment, and will be for the rest of my life.

3 // Our incredible vendors, who went above and beyond.
I can’t say enough about the people who helped us pull the whole thing off, then stuck around to have a bourbon and a laugh at the end of the night (and in some cases stuck it out through the whole weekend!). They have a place in our hearts and our homes forever.

4 // My Maid of Honor.
Crying with her alone in our dressing room before the ceremony… then again after her toast.

5 // Eating cake at midnight.
With my best friends… who stayed long after the party was done to laugh, eat, and dance by the fire.

As beautiful as everything was… when I look back I realize that the thing I remember most is the people. I don’t remember how the food tasted, or which details were wrong and which were right… I remember the love that I felt from my friends and family. And when I think about the lead-up to the wedding now, the last few days and months, I wish I hadn’t worried so much.

The day was perfect because they were there.

Image via.

1. Posted May 13, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Such a lovely list, I’m sending this along to my best friend who is getting married on Sunday, I’m sure she’ll appreciate hearing that in the end, all the tiny details don’t matter as much!

Posted May 13, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Thank you Emily!! I hope it helps. Those last few days can be so hard, but it’s important to remember what the day is all about. It all works out in the end!

2. Posted May 13, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Aren’t Dads the best!?! Enjoy Oregon 🙂

Posted May 13, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Thanks!! So excited to be going back. They definitely are. 🙂

3. Posted May 13, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Beautifully put. I’ll have to try and keep this in mind- I’m already having stress dreams about my own wedding in September!

Posted May 13, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh Amy I couldn’t stop thinking about my own stress dreams while I was writing this post. I had SUCH a hard time. I know it’s not easy to relax but hopefully this does help a little… it’s so true. The details will come together and the ones that don’t you won’t even miss. The important part is spending the day with the people you love.

4. Posted May 13, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments with us.

Posted May 13, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you Lena! It was such an amazing day… I can’t wait to share more, one of these days soon!! 🙂

5. Michelle
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

So I really needed this today, Laicie. The forecast says it’s going to rain, my list of things to get done is a mile long, and I definitely had a freak out moment yesterday. But now I’m going to go take the dog for a long walk, think about all of my amazing friends and family that will be with us on our wedding day. Your wedding was the best one I’ve ever had the honor of being a guest to. It was filled with so much love and joy. Everyone also really loved that napoleon 😉 I love you so much and cannot wait to see you this Friday 🙂 Thank you.

Posted May 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I love you too!! I wish I was there to tell you all of this in person and to help you with everything you have left to do, but I promise you that your wedding is going to be amazing. And not only is rain good luck, I can’t think of any place better to duck inside than that GORGEOUS venue of yours. No matter what happens on the day, all of the stress will melt away, I promise, and it will be perfect. I can’t wait to see you soon!! And damnit I wish I had that napoleon I’d bring him along!!

6. Posted May 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Awwww I love these sweet highlights from your wedding!

Posted May 14, 2013 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Thanks Gloria! 🙂

7. Posted May 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

so lovely… btw, will you be sharing your wedding photos?

Posted May 14, 2013 at 7:01 am | Permalink

I will!! I’m sorry it’s taken so horribly long — I actually have a big surprise in the works that’s holding them up, but I should be able to share soon. 🙂

8. Mom
    Posted May 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful post Laicie. It really is true…what was it that we were worried about this time last year? No one ever remembers? Sending love to Michelle on your special day…you will be the most beautiful bride.
    Mom Olson

9. Rachel H.
    Posted January 3, 2015 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

The wedding industry can be a bit out of control by setting unrealistic expectations for little girls who want the “perfect day.” I adore that this lists includes things money cannot buy. It’s nice to remember as I plan my wedding.

One Trackback

• By Our Wedding // The Ceremony on May 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm

[…] though we went back and forth over what it should include, all we really needed were our vows.  Staring into Mark’s eyes […]