5 Fantastic Things // May

a thousand threads
I’ve always been kind of bad at journaling. I love the pretty pages, the pens, the words… I love to write. But journaling is my weakness — it’s telling that my series on small goals wandered off into the dark land of bloggy purgatory right about the time I decided to set my sights on a daily journal entry (shhh… we won’t tell anyone).

But here’s the thing… I really love journaling. Especially the good kind. Not that we need to be all down on the bad complainey kind, there’s a place for that too.  But the kind that reminds you of the good things is always the best.  That’s the stuff you want to look back and remember.

So, because it really is important to remember — and to set goals — starting this May, I want to try to make this daily thing monthly. That’s seldom enough to stick to, right?

Maybe if you share my lack of skill at journaling we could do this together?  If you’re into it, link up your posts in the comments!  We can keep each other honest.

5 FANTASTIC THINGS

I want to remember…

1 // Wiping back tears as I watched one of my oldest friends marry the guy of her dreams.
2 // Falling on the floor exhausted — literally falling, there’s a bruise on my back. I’m pretty sure it’s klutziness and not exhaustion that caused it, but never you mind — after we bit off way more than we could chew and decided to redecorate and rearrange.  One day, when the house is presentable again (someday) I’ll share.
3 // Seeing my mom and dad, eating at Jam, drinking good beer and wine and never wanting to leave.
4 // Celebrating my first Mother’s Day as an official stepmom. (We might not be #1, but that doesn’t mean we don’t deserve a little love.)
5 // Realizing (three days late) that we’d made it to our six month anniversary… and how quickly time flies by.

I’m looking forward to…

1 // Hot sunny beginning-of-summer days by the pool.
2 // 16 and 18 mile runs… marathon training is starting to ramp up! (Right now I’m looking forward to those long runs… we’ll see how I feel at the end of June).
3 // Going to Alt NYC and spending a big chunk of my birthday week in the city.
4 // … that’s right, the last year of my 20s is officially about to begin. I’m going to put this on the “looking forward to” list in the hope that it might somehow convince me I’m excited.
5 // Hikes hikes hikes… and cold frosty drinks and custard after.  (What’s a hike without custard?  I’m lookin’ at you, Harper’s Ferry.)

MORE FANTASTIC THINGS

A Little Old-Fashioned

1. Posted May 30, 2013 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Even as a little girl, I would by tons and tons of new journals. I loved their crisp pages and their beautiful covers. Too bad they always sat on my shelf, their crisp pages untouched after the first five or so. I just can never commit to writing with a pen and paper. And it doesn’t help at all that I have terrible handwriting and get hand cramps easier. Thank goodness for keyboards and blogs!

Posted May 30, 2013 at 7:24 am | Permalink

HAHA exactly!! So good to have a blog. 🙂

2. Posted May 30, 2013 at 5:31 am | Permalink

omg – you are going to Alt NYC? and boy, it does sound like you’ve had a couple of busy weeks and more to come!

Posted May 30, 2013 at 7:21 am | Permalink

So busy, but that almost feels normal these days haha. I am going to Alt! It’s crazy to think it’s almost here. I can’t wait!!

3. Amanda L.
    Posted May 30, 2013 at 7:48 am | Permalink

I’m so excited to find a blogger near Frederick! I’m probably going to steal some of your ‘to-dos’…

I love the idea of journaling, but most days I don’t feel like I have anything interesting to say. I have a stack of diaries from my pre-teen and teen years that back that up… 🙂

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Haha but aren’t those the best to look back at? (Well and the worst too… my teenage diary entries are hilarious.) I love hearing from someone in Frederick, I hope you do — especially the hikes, there are so many good ones around here.

4. Posted May 30, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink

have fun at alt!! I learnt about it way too late to get tickets, even though it’s right here in my own city… and hey, that means we have the same birthday week! 🙂

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Too cool! Happy almost birthday! Sad you couldn’t make Alt — those tickets went crazy fast. But maybe next year!! I’m still dying to get to SLC one of these days.

5. Posted May 30, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

This is such a fun idea! I’m so excited to meet you at ALT NY this month 🙂

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:38 am | Permalink

SO excited to meet you too!! I can’t wait!

6. Posted May 30, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I love this kind of post. I haven’t post the one that I do for every month in a while, but I have one for June 🙂

How exciting you get to go to Alt in NYC! I can’t wait to go back to that city!

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:42 am | Permalink

I love your posts — can’t wait to read June!! I wasn’t at first, but now I’m pretty in love with NYC. 🙂 I’m excited to get back.

7. Posted May 30, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

LOVE this idea–and all the things to remember and look forward to!

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Thanks lady!! It makes me pretty excited about the coming month. 🙂

8. Posted May 31, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

I collect journals. I was an illustration major in college, after all. But I have the same problem about keeping up with it daily. I do much better with my blog but I think that’s because I have a partner in it and I also feature others who I know are looking forward to seeing their content. I don’t like to leave them hanging! My husband and I have both been filling out the ‘Q & A a day’ 5 year journal which has been pretty awesome…

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Oh too cool! That 5 year journal will be amazing to look back at. The accountability is definitely what keeps me going on the blog, and the effort to improve. Plus a journal just can’t mimic the feeling of community… it’s so much better when your journal talks back. 🙂

• Amanda L.
      Posted May 31, 2013 at 8:07 am | Permalink

I’m buying that 5 year Q&A a day right now. What a great idea and a great way to see how the next five years unfold!

9. Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:24 am | Permalink

I love this post so much that I’ve decided to join in on the fun! I drafted my own “5 Fantastic Things” for May – https://alittleoldfashioned.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/5-fantastic-things-may/

Thanks for the inspiration!

Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Katelyn I LOVE your post!! I’ll make sure I keep a running list of links in the regular post as well, that way they’ll be easy to find!! So glad you shared.

10. Michelle Rundle
    Posted May 31, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

It was so special having you and Mark at our wedding. I’m so happy I got to spend some time with you one on one while I had my hair done. Love you lady!

P.S. Hope you enjoyed Lompac. I love that place and we go there quite often.

Posted June 3, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink