Do you prioritize sleep?

do you prioritize sleep? / a thousand threads
When I mentioned to Mark that I might do a post on hours of sleep, he laughed and responded that he thought it was a great idea — that the issue is “close to my heart.”  For a reason I still can’t quite understand, I took his response as a criticism.

I really like sleep.  In fact if I could I’d get 10 hours a night.  Instead, I get around 6 or 7… sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less… which isn’t bad, considering.  If you count the blog (which I do) I have two full time jobs, a husband, a stepson, and a marathon-training schedule to keep.  In fact I often think longingly of the lucky ones who manage to subsist on a steady diet of cocaine-fueled, sleep deprived creativity — it’s not for me, but god must they get a lot done.

In reality, Mark meant that the issue was close to my heart because I’m so busy he often finds himself falling asleep next to me on the couch while I continue to plug away at whatever it is I need to get done.  He meant that the issue was close to my heart because he can see that I don’t get enough sleep… and yet, apparently I feel guilty for what I get.

There’s just so much to do…

Do you feel the same?  Or are you better at prioritizing sleep than I am?  According to a recent survey, 71 percent of Americans do not get the doctor-recommended seven to eight hours of sleep each night.

P.S. If you have trouble falling asleep, the New York Times this week has some tips that might help.

Photo via.

1. Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that my youthful love of sleep wasn’t laziness–I just really need it. Sure, I can go a day or two or 4, 5, 6 hours, but I’m most productive and most pleasant when I’ve gotten 8. For my sanity and the happiness of everyone around me, I’ve started putting sleep first–and oh, how I love those pillows!

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Here here, Lena!! I’m a giant crabby-pants when I don’t get enough sleep and that’s not good for anyone.

2. Posted June 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I agree! Too much to do, too little time. My boyfriend recently bought me an app called sleep cycle which helps monitor your sleep and basically grades the quality. I find that if I sleep in cycles of 45 minutes I feel much more refreshed-pretty interesting stuff!

Posted June 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

That app sounds kind of amazing — I’ve actually heard something sort of like that before. 45 minutes at a time, and something about 5.5 hours? Does that sound right? It’s totally possible I could be making it up.

In any case, I’m checking out that app!

3. Posted June 25, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I try to prioritize sleep but the problem is that I can’t sleep through the night without getting up at least 2-3 times. So I wake up feeling restless. I wish we could all sleep like babies!!

Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Oh man I’m sorry! I usually wake up but fall back to sleep quickly and I know I’m so lucky to have at least that.

4. Posted June 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Girl, I have SO much to say about sleep. Ever since I can remember, I’ve had trouble sleeping. Not for lacking of wanting to. When I was younger I just had so much swirling around in my head it was hard to turn my brain off to get rest. Then when I grew older I was prescribed a sleep aid which helps… but I hate being on it. I have an autoimmune disease and it is imperative that I get enough sleep. If I don’t, I get incredibly sick. I’m still trying to find my stride when it comes to getting quality sleep. My doctor says I need 9 hours of solid sleep every night… but I’m lucky to get 6 or 7. I’m hoping that when we move into our new place next week, my husband and I can get on a better nightly routine.

Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Oh man I live in fear of the day I can’t sleep as well as I do now. My mom has the hardest time and my grandmother had the same, but it didn’t set in until later in life… I know I’m bound for it too. And it’s so hard to stay healthy and happy without sleep… I’m sorry you’ve had such a struggle!

5. Posted June 25, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I wish I prioritize sleep as before. I used to get more sleep, but my husband’s night owl habits have rubbed off on me. I need to get better at turning of computers and devices early and having an earlier bedtime.

Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:20 am | Permalink

It’s tough when your partner has different habits! I know Mark is up a lot later than he’d like to be most of the time.

6. Posted June 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve really gotten into a groove lately of getting 8 hours before I have to work early in the morning, but it has been really hard to sacrifice my late night blog stalking/Netflix watching!

The only time I justify staying up wayyyyy too late is when I’m out with my friends, because you’re only 23 once, right?

Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh take advantage of it, that ability to stay out late fades so fast!! (actually maybe I never had it haha… I’ve always been the first to fall asleep whether I like it or not! — but I’m jealous nonetheless!) 😉

7. Amanda L.
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Oh, how I love my sleep. I get 7-9 hours a night and it makes me a very happy person. I wake up super early (usually between 4:45 and 5:30) so that means I am in bed by 8:30/9 most nights. That makes me feel old, but the sleep makes me feel young, so I feel like they balance each other out :)

Weekends are a whole different animal. I stay up later but am lucky to sleep past 6:30… which is where naps come in!

Posted June 26, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Haha I’m so with you! I get up early and go to bed as early as I can. On the weekends though I could easily sleep in until 8:30-9, and would, but Mark and Austin usually have me up by 7. :)

8. Posted June 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Sleep has taken on a whole new meaning since having kids! I need at least 8 hours, 9 would be preferable, but sometimes I stay up too late just to enjoy some quiet “me time”. Also, it seems whenever I have to opportunity to sleep in, I’m up at the crack of dawn! Quit messing with me sleep!

Posted June 27, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Oh ya… I’m only a part-time mom but I know both of those feelings! I can hardly imagine it 24/7! (It’s the good kind of sleep deprivation though… right? Ha.)

9. Posted June 28, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

ooh sleep how I love thee! I am a total walking zombie if I do not get at least 8 hours of sleep, but I hardly get 8 hours, which means that I am … a walking zombie until I am IV’s with caffeine. As priority … I can go to bed sooner, but then there’s chat’s I’ll miss, blogs I won’t read, tv shows I’ll forget to dvr. So, Yikes, I guess I don’t prioritize sleep :( and will remain a zombie for now.

Posted June 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

HA! Story of my life, Ada… story of my life.