Do you suffer from Insta-envy?

insta envy / a thousand threads
So here’s a question. How do you feel about all of this social media we have in our lives?

According to this article, Instagram is pretty much the sum of all evil, and I can’t say I disagree.

That doesn’t mean I’ll give it up.

But Mark and I had a long conversation after reading this, and he has a good point. In his view, it’s just one more modern iteration of “keeping up with the Joneses” — this kind of envy has existed for years (maybe forever) and will continue to, technology or no.

What do you think? Do you suffer from insta-envy? Do you think things are any different now than they were in the past?

Photos from some of my favorite accounts to envy: Clockwise 1, 2, 3, 4

1. Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Oh I most certainly do – there are a few people I follow that almost INSTANTLY make me jealous each time. But I always continually tell myself – that this is one picture of this person’s life – it in NO way captures their entire life, and I am sure there is just as much bad/sad/not-as-cool in their real life as their is “super-awesome” from their instagram feed. But really mine mostly consists of tons of kids these days….

Posted August 8, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Such a good point — and so important to remember! I hear you on all of the kids haha… although the super cute ones and their adorable/perfect nurseries give me a touch of envy too.

2. Amanda L.
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Good point, Bree, about the fact that that is one moment in their life.

I get a little jealous when I look at other people’s wedding photos, because in hindsight, I picked the wrong photographer. I try to be happy with the 10-15 great pics he got, but it’s still a raw wound for me (17 months later).

Other than that, I mostly find inspiration from social media, rather than jealousy.

Posted August 8, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Aww I hear that a lot — 10-15 great pics is amazing though!! Honestly I love all of our shots, but I’ll only ever print or share a few. At least you have a few really great shots to remember the day.

And I definitely find a ton of inspiration via social media as well — a ton! — so I figure any envy the pictures might induce is totally worth it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Jenny
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I do get a little jealous. Especially when people show off their new bags, shoes, outfits..sometimes seems like an endless bucket of money people have. However as mentioned these are snippets of someone’s life so I try to remember that.

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

And beautiful houses and extravagant vacations… I know! I know! It’s tough, but you’re so right… it’s just the highlight reel.

4. Posted August 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I always try to keep it (Instagram, blogging) in perspectiveโ€“the truth is that I rarely photograph myself when I’m feeling awful, and I don’t take pictures of Tuesday night dinners I threw together. I’m careful about how I present myself to the world, and when I start to feel envious, I remind myself that everyone else is careful, too.

And if you’re really constantly manicured, made up and dining out, you must be exhausted.

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Haha I can’t even imagine! Sometimes you really just need to have a bad hair day and not give a lick lol. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Posted August 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

OH, yes, I absolutely think that it is another form of elitism. It isn’t entirely genuine. Of course I still love looking at others beautifully composed images and posting my own but I must admit that there are some days I just have to walk away from it and focus on real life.

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

I couldn’t agree more! Sometimes you just have to take a break.

6. Posted August 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

it’s hard to “enjoy” instagram and even reading blogs when i see others with material things I want but can’t have. but at the same time, i just have to remind myself that it’s all for fun and inspiration like reading a book, magazine, catalogues, etc. (although there are some who are in it for 100% marketing purposes).

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Haha for sure — and you’re right, it’s so much like a magazine!

7. Posted August 8, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

hmm..yes, I do struggle mostly with the ones that instantly have 1000x likes after posting. Or the kids that are always dressed immaculately. I tend to follow people that I’ve connected with, that way it has a sense of community. And keeps the jealousy to a minimum ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Oh ya me too… and I’m not nearly as good as you! I follow so many folks I don’t know at all, with gorgeous, jealousy-inducing feeds… that’s okay though, I really do find a lot more inspiration in it than I do envy. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

I’m always in awe of people who seem to always be traveling or going on vacation. What the heck!

Posted August 9, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh I know — and I follow a ton of photographers, so I have SO much of that in my feed haha! They’re working hard though, right?

9. Posted August 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I love that every here is speaking my language! I’m really into yoga and follow a lot of Instag-yogi feeds. It inspires me to want to try the poses but then I’ve got to remind myself “Girl, you’re gonna break your neck if you try that. You best go your own pace if you know what’s good for you.” It’s my inner voice that keeps me sane. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Haha I love it!! I need to follow some of these yogis too, I need some inspiration!

10. Posted August 12, 2013 at 7:48 am | Permalink

On one hand, this is all true. On the other, how could I live without Insta & all the others?

Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Haha I’m there with you! I don’t think I could. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. taylor
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 8:53 am | Permalink

i sooo agree, i think facebook is another culprit. our friends’ and even the people we don’t know advertise the “cool” things they’re doing every day. i know I am guilty of this; i instagram only “instaworthy” shots like a laid back beach day, fancy food from restaurants, and i tag it on the maps in cool places. it’s almost like a platform to brag, but everyone seems to go with it. definitely will be considering this as i scroll through my instagram feed today..

thanks for the thoughts!

Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your thoughts, Taylor!! Such a good point about it being an online tool for bragging. And I think we’re all a little guilty. ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Trackbacks

• By Envy and Accomplishment on August 9, 2013 at 9:54 am

[…] « Do you suffer from Insta-envy? […]

• By Envy and Accomplishment on October 15, 2013 at 1:34 pm

[…] guys — I really love these discussions of ours. Thanks for chiming in yesterday on your struggles with Insta-envy! It was oddly reassuring to me to hear that we’re pretty much all dealing with the same […]