Goat Cheese, Blackberry and Honey Popsicles

goat cheese, blackberry and honey popsicles / a thousand threads
Usually, when I cook, I try to think about the things that Mark and I both like — he hates olives, for example, so it’s pretty rare that we snack on a muffaletta.

But this weekend, when nothing sounded better than a goat cheese and honey popsicle (two evil elements that I love — and that come together just perfectly in these pops) I decided that the best part about making something only I’ll dare to eat might just be that I get to keep it all to myself.

goat cheese, blackberry and honey popsicles / a thousand threads
Maybe I should do this more often…

goat cheese, blackberry and honey popsicles / a thousand threads
Goat Cheese, Blackberry And Honey Popsicles
via NPR’s Kitchen Window

2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 ounces goat cheese
2 pinches salt
2 cups blackberries
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon zest, from about 2 large lemons

Combine milk and cream in a pot. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the mixture and whisk in cornstarch to make a slurry. Add sugar to milk and bring to a rolling boil for 4 minutes. Add cornstarch slurry to milk mixture and stir well for about a minute until mixture is slightly thickened.

Combine goat cheese and salt in a bowl. Turn off heat and add goat cheese and salt to the milk mixture. Whisk to incorporate, and cool mixture completely.

In a small pan, cook berries 5 to 10 minutes until softened, pressing gently to release the juices. Turn off heat. Add honey and lemon zest, and cool completely.

When both mixtures are cool, fill molds 3/4 of the way with goat cheese base. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of blackberry sauce on top, leaving a bit of space for expansion during freezing. Use a spoon, pop stick or chopstick to swirl the sauce throughout the pop. Freeze according to mold instructions.

Leftover base and sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.

goat cheese, blackberry and honey popsicles / a thousand threads

1. Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, those look seriously fantastic! <3

Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Thank you Ashley!! I love the goat cheese… it’s such a tasty twist. 🙂

2. Posted August 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I looove that you did this with goat cheese! Tangy protein deliciousness!

3. Posted August 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

oh my! this is definitely a must try!!!

4. Posted August 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Oh popsicles, you look incredible!

5. Posted August 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

yummy ingredients, sounds great!

6. Posted August 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

these look so delish – I need to try these!

The Casual Classic

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Thanks Dana! Hope you like them!!

7. Posted January 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

These look absolutely heavenly…