Maryland Crab Cakes with Spicy Jalapeno Slaw

maryland crab cakes / a thousand threads
Nothing says summer in Maryland like the smell of Old Bay and a really killer crab cake… and I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say that Mark’s recipe is the BEST. Hands down.

… in fact I’m pretty sure he’s still mourning that fact that he’s giving it up.

This is the first time he’s shared…

maryland crab cakes / a thousand threadsmaryland crab cakes / a thousand threads
Eat the crab cake by itself or throw it on a ciabatta roll with a little pile of spicy jalapeno slaw and it won’t be long before you’re hoarding the recipe too.

Maryland Crab Cakes

1 tablespoon stone ground whole grain mustard
1/4 cup mayo
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon old bay
Juice from half a lemon
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 lb Maryland blue crab (although if you’re not in Maryland, I suppose we could make an exception)
2 sleeves Ritz crackers, finely crushed

Mix first 9 ingredients in a bowl (everything except the crab and crackers).

Gently fold the crab into the mixture.

Gently fold a quarter of the crackers in at a time until you’re able to create a loose ball. They’re tasty, but don’t overdo it on the crackers. Only use what you need to bind the cake together.

Pat mixture into palm sized patties and place on a pan lined with parchment paper. Cover the pan and cakes with plastic wrap and cool for at least an hour in the refrigerator before cooking.

To cook, heat peanut oil (or another high temperature stable oil) to 350 degrees in a skillet (preferably cast iron). Use enough oil to cover half the cake when placed in the skillet. Cook till golden on each side, then finish in a 350 degree oven. Crab cake should have an internal temp of around 150 degrees.

A note on crab meat prep:
Keep the crab meat in ice water and as cold as you can while removing any additional shell. It will help keep the lump together for better results.

We also like to soak the crab meat in ice milk (just what it sounds like) for an hour before getting started.

Jalapeno Slaw

1 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 large jalapenos fine diced (exclude seeds)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
White pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let set for at least 15 minutes to marry the flavors.

1. john
    Posted August 20, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

the only thing to top this would be to put mountain biking before crab cakes and daiquiri’s!!!!!

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

HA! Ya ya keep trying. ;) I’ll take that daiquiri though!

2. Posted August 20, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

my boyfriend and I were devouring old bay crabcakes at dinner the other day and lamenting that we don’t know how to make them. thanks for this!! it looks so delicious.

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Yummy!! Hope you like these just as much!

3. Posted August 20, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

These sound MAGICAL–how I miss MD and the smell of Old Bay!

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Aww there really is so much to love over here!! I wish we could swap for a few days. I miss my west coast!

4. Posted August 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I am drooling over here. I adore seafood so much!

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Me too! I so miss living on the coast where all of the seafood was SO good.

5. Posted August 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, so this is happening soon. I absolutely LOVE crab cakes! Too bad I’m in California, and it’s a little more difficult to get good crab…I’ll just have to keep searching!

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Aww too bad, it is harder — but I bet you guys get some good stuff down from up north! I’m from Oregon so actually (shhh… don’t tell MD) I’m a dungeness kind of girl. Hope you find some soon!

6. Posted August 20, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Holey recipe … for BOTH look (reads) amazingly delicious. Will def try the jalapeno sauce (and probably cheat and buy already made crab cakes). ;)

Posted August 21, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Good idea ;) Hope you enjoy!

7. Posted August 21, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

wow, looks delish!! i love crab cakes and have always wanted to make’em myself. i wonder if this recipe also works with salmon… i’ll have to give both a try!