Pisco Sour

pisco sour / a thousand threads
Mark and I officially discovered the Pisco Sour on our honeymoon in Peru, and were immediately hooked.

We’d heard of the drink before, but since pisco isn’t all that common in the U.S., we’d never had one — and beyond the name, we pretty much had no idea what we were getting into.

Pisco is made with grapes, like a brandy, but to me, it tastes more like a tequila. In fact my first thought on the sour was that it tasted a little bit like a frothy margarita.

That is, until it knocked me on my ass.

Turns out, a Pisco Sour is more akin to a martini than a margarita in that it’s nearly all alcohol. The difference is that you’d never know.

pisco sour / a thousand threadspisco sour / a thousand threads
Peruvians (and Chileans — there’s a pretty big rivalry there) take a lot of pride in their pisco, and the simplicity of the drink really lets the flavor shine.

Some recipes use lemon, so I had to be sure I was making the right one. Turns out there’s a pretty interesting explanation behind the disparity, but lemon is definitely wrong.

There might also be a good argument for giving the drink a dry shake before you add the ice — that way you’ll get the most froth possible without watering the drink down.

But whatever you do, keep an eye on that bottle… it can disappear fast!

pisco sour / a thousand threads
Pisco Sour

2 fl oz (8 parts) Pisco
1 fl oz (4 parts) Lime juice
3/4 fl oz (3 part) Simple syrup (sugar and water, you can make your own)
1 Egg white
Dash Angostura bitters

Shake pisco, lime, simple syrup and egg white with ice and half the spent lime hull (see above for note on an optional dry shake). Strain into a chilled glass. Dash bitters over the top.

pisco sour / a thousand threads

1. Posted August 26, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Always looking for a new drink to try! I’ll have to pass this along to my husband to make for me 🙂

2. Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had a pisco sour, but if it’s similar to a (super strength) margarita, I’m sure to love it 🙂

Posted August 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

They’re so tasty, Gloria! You will!

3. Posted August 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

LOVE a good Pisco sour–we’re definitely dry shakers over here!

Posted August 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Us too! It really does make a difference. 🙂

4. Posted August 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

They are the BEST! My friend married (and then divorced) a Peruvian and I always loved going to their house for cocktails. I had completely forgotten about them until now. Thanks for the reminder 🙂

5. Posted August 26, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard of this, a strong margarita sounds delicious!