What’s Your Take on Millennials?

wonder, bravery, hope
These days it seems like everywhere you look, somebody else is throwing their hat in the “what are these crazy kids all about” ring. Some of the analysis is pretty good, amazing even. Some, well… maybe not so much.

So I’m curious. What’s your take? Are you a millennial? (Early 80s to 2000 babies, I’m calling your name.)

Or are you on the outside looking in… maybe shaking your head at the narcissistic, tech-obsessed, jobless culture that young folks are faced with today?

Image via.

1. Posted August 28, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I am so glad you linked to these articles. I’ve read a lot of stuff about Gen Y (being one of them) and I am increasingly interested in the shifts that are happening. There is no doubt that the world is changing and I hope that the millennials change it for the better. While I am very much what I consider an observer, sitting on the outside looking at both sides, I definitely resonate with Gen Y because I don’t believe that traditional systems are always effective anymore. This doesn’t mean I believe they are all bad either though. Everything needs TLC and a makeover at some point in it’s life. Things get worn down and sloppy, why would government be any different. The more I read and the more interested I am in the subject, the more my previous thoughts of “I doubt I’ll have kids because I don’t want them to suffer through what this world may become” change. I’ve become more hopeful that maybe we can’t save things but we can change and move parts around to create something that works better for this day and age. I may never be standing on the front line of the movement but it doesn’t mean I am any less engaged in wanting to see where it goes.

xoxohannah

Posted August 29, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Hannah I’m so in love with your perspective!! I really do believe that this generation is capable of (and is already doing) great things. There are so many things to fix that I used to feel very similar, but the passion, ingenuity, and integrity that I see in so many of my peers gives me hope.

2. Posted August 28, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

I’m an early 90s baby, so I guess I qualify! for the most part, I do agree that many of us are pretty tech-obsessed. To the point where it can cripple real social interaction. I don’t agree so much with all the big ego talk though, at least from people I know, I think my peers are driven and not afraid to follow atypical routes to their goals.

Posted August 29, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I agree! It can be hard to keep up with – and not get lost in – all of today’s technology, but when it comes to the “everyone gets a trophy” big ego theory, I just can’t get on board. My parents were some of the most supportive you could ever ask for, and absolutely told me I could do or be anything I wanted. That encouragement has led me to take more risks in my life, but that doesn’t mean I’m not aware that I could fail. Failure is a painful reality that we all experience and learn from at some point in our lives regardless of how many participation trophies we’ve received.

3. Posted August 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I’m a 1990 baby and have been devouring articles on my generation, all of it is truly fascinating!

I LOVE the first article you linked to. I agree with most everything in the article but relate most strongly to feeling a need to serve others as well as being more concerned with the importance of my work rather than my salary. I’ve found all the articles about millennials to be interesting, but I often find that they seem to be repeating criticisms about previous generations just with different nouns that relate better to the time period. IE We are on our phones all the time, the first generation to grow up with the TV probably watched it too often. That’s not to say that we don’t need to chill with our technology use, but it also doesn’t make us the worst generation in a century.

I also found it so interesting that the article mentioned the high school class full of kids that wouldn’t want to go into politics. I majored in Political Science but have never had the intention of running for office. I’ve just always hoped the degree would allow me to better understand the way our government works and to use that knowledge to help others. In fact, I moved to DC this summer and am nannying for little pay while I try to find something else, rather than working a desk job that I don’t find fulfilling.

I could go on and on but I really just found myself nodding my head again and again throughout the entire piece.

The Time piece on the other hand, I found to be captivating but less accurate. I felt it was written more as a show piece.

Such an interesting topic, I cannot wait to read the other comments!

Posted August 29, 2013 at 10:03 am | Permalink

I’m so obsessed with them too! I’m right on the edge of the generation at 1984, and I can’t stop reading all of the analysis. Even the stuff that feels off is so fascinating to me. And, of course, I LOVED the article about politics — I’m right there with you! I remember when I came to DC, my parents told everyone that I was going to be a politician… I always corrected them but even now I’m pretty sure they’d say “never say never.” It’s funny how our generation has moved so far away from that path… but really, given the state of congress right now, so encouraging. I love that the piece has such a hopeful tone. Who knows, maybe we can change the world.