Strawberry Peach Skillet Cobbler

strawberry peach skillet cobbler / a thousand threads
So apparently the summer is over, now that Labor Day is gone (you know, if you ignore the fact that its still 90 degrees outside) and even though I’m in full-fledged denial (don’t even talk to me about that “w” word) I have started eating my favorite cold-weather treat.

I know that it’s generally known as a summer dessert, but warm cobbler is just so much better curled up by a fire with a cup of hot cocoa on the side. It’s the quintessential comfort food.

Of course, I did make this one with some summery fruits, because I know you’re not quite ready to move on either.

And because the peaches right now are kind of insane. I guess there’s at least one good thing about the summer coming to an end…

strawberry peach skillet cobbler / a thousand threadsstrawberry peach skillet cobbler / a thousand threads
In addition to being just downright delicious, this crazy cobbler caught me by surprise. The crème fraîche whipped cream that accompanies it takes the flavors to a whole new level, complementing the sweet fruit and hearty cake with just a little bit of tang.

Mark won’t usually eat any kind of pie or cake without ice cream, but I’m pretty sure now he’s never eating cobbler (any cobbler) without that crème fraîche whipped cream again.

The stuff is a must.

2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
1 1/2 cups crème fraîche, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 pounds peeled, pitted peaches, each cut into 1/2″ wedges (about 2 cups)
1 cup chilled heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar

Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the strawberries and continue to cook over very low heat for 20 minutes, until the strawberries release some of their juices and the mixture boils slowly. Set aside and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, 1/2 cup crème fraîche, milk, and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients; whisk until smooth. Melt butter in a 12″ castiron skillet over medium heat. Swirl pan to coat with butter. Remove from heat.

Add batter to pan. Scatter fresh peaches over batter, then use a slotted spoon to spoon strawberries evenly over the batter, along with just a little of the syrup (set the remaining syrup aside to pour over ice cream later, yum).

Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cobbler comes out clean, 45–50 minutes. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, whip cream in a medium bowl to form soft peaks. Fold in sugar and remaining 1 cup crème fraîche. Cut cobbler into wedges and serve with whipped cream mixture.

strawberry peach skillet cobbler / a thousand threads

1. Posted September 3, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

This looks delicious, and crème fraîche whipped cream?! You’re killing me!

2. Posted September 3, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Woa this looks crazy good!

-Alecia with http://www.likesof.us

3. Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

gosh does this look delicious. I’m hearing my stomach grumble at the mere thought of how it tastes!
    xo,
    nancy

4. Posted September 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Mmmmmm…this sounds absolutely delicious!

5. Posted September 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, I think I might have to make this for my own, upcoming birthday. Creme fraiche whipped cream AND peaches AND cobbler? Yum!

6. Posted September 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, this looks incredible! I may have to try making it, although a wheat-free version due to my allergy – So I’m sure it won’t come out as great 🙁 I’m a bit sad that summer is coming to an end but honestly, I’m so excited for Fall! Not too stoked about the “W” word, though 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am so SO in love with yours and consider me a new daily follower!! xo

Jessica
    cocoandmingo.com

Posted September 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you SO much Jessica!! I’m so glad to have you. 🙂

7. Posted September 4, 2013 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Mmmm! This looks so good, and your photographs are so beautiful I can practically smell the deliciousness from Africa! Lovely! X Jane

One Trackback

• […] Heat waffle iron and brush or spray with oil. Pour batter onto iron, close, and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp. Top with sauteed plums and sweet cream (We love this recipe for crème fraîche whipped cream). […]