The Pros and Cons of Living in a Stepford Neighborhood

a thousand threads
I love our neighborhood. It’s quiet, beautiful, lots of young families with white picket fences… it’s eerily perfect, and I wonder fairly frequently which husband might be pumping out robotic beauties in the basement (maybe those ones that are always at the pool…).

So, along with a few shots we snapped last night on a little family walk, I thought I’d share some pros and cons that go along with living where we do…

a thousand threads
Pro: There are bunnies.

So many bunnies. I’m almost positive they truck them in.

Whoever is running the show around here knows that those squirrels are just rats in cuter suits — that just won’t do — so the bunnies are abundant… and the squirrels, well, I guess they know their place.

a thousand threads
Con: The chihuahuas are very dangerous.

“A resident has reported that on the morning of April 4, she was walking on Spicebush Drive when she was bitten by a dog on a leash.  The dog was possibly a chihuahua, and the bite was relatively severe.  The dog was being walked by a man, and he had two dogs with him, both small and brown.  Due to concerns about rabies and other infections, we are seeking information about the dogs and their owner.  If you have any information on who might have been walking two small brown dogs on April 4, on or near Spicebush Drive, please contact the community manager so that we can pass the information along to the doctors involved.  Your assistance is appreciated.”

a thousand threads
Pro: Tiny goats will mow your lawn.

We’re fans of adorable animals doing adorable things here (as long as it’s not those damn chihuahuas). These fat little guys come around a few times a year to clear the brush.

Con: Santa might steal your identity.

Clearly, these two issues were made for a side-by-side announcement (one that went out last December). Merry Christmas.

Community Tree Lighting – Santa Claus is Coming to Town!

Join your neighbors for cocoa and caroling as we light the community Christmas tree in front of the Fat Oxen.  Santa has graciously agreed to make an appearance, so bring the kids and your camera and grab a photo with the Man In Red.

Identity Theft Issues

Six months ago a number of our residents were victims of identity theft. Please be aware that it has been reported that the same problems are returning. You can minimize your risk by following these ten tips…”

a thousand threads
Pro: There are palm trees at the pool.

It’s fine, nobody will know that they’re plastic.

Also a pro… if you get tired, you can go have a float on the lazy river.

a thousand threads
Con: There might be bears.

I can only guess that the bear that was spotted a few weeks ago must have somehow caught word of all the bunnies.

1. Posted September 4, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

bears, bunnies, and santas, oh my!

2. Posted September 4, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

bunnies?!??? ahhh that sounds like heaven hahah.

3. Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I love this post, Laicie! So adorable and I could just picture your neighborhood as I read through it :) What got my attention was: bunnies? I LOVE bunnies. You know how there are cat ladies? I’m a bunny lady – I named my blog after the two that I have – but have never lived in a place with wild ones. Oh, that would be heaven…beautiful photos!

Posted September 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Oh I love it!! Thank you!! I actually had bunnies as pets as a kid! But not so much now, just my little dog. :) I don’t think he’d do so well with a bunny friend haha.

4. Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Bunnies and Santas and goats! We’ve just got coyotes and the homeless…

5. Posted September 4, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Aw bunnies! Who wouldn’t love a neighborhood full of them :)

xx Alecia

6. Posted September 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

We must be neighbors! There are so many bunnies in our area and our poor Pug is terrified of them – no idea why! – so it’s getting tougher to take him on a walk without drama. Also, we have a section of the homeowners’ newsletter devoted to the proper timing and etiquette for hanging of holiday lights. (If you don’t follow the rules, you’re not eligible for the highly-coveted Holiday Lights competition which comes with yard signs that announce your lighting supremacy to everyone passing by.)

Posted September 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

HAHA Denise it does sound like we’re neighbors!! Your poor pug!!

7. Posted September 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Ha! Neighbourhood or zoo?

Either way, you do make it sound delightful.

8. Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Ha! Your neighborhood sounds like it’s filled with little mysteries…

9. Posted September 4, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Ha ha. We live in a similar type of planned community — front porches, colorful houses etc — and it sometimes feels like a staged movie set. ;) The bunnies are more common than squirrels here too!

10. Kami
    Posted September 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Rats – we got squirrels! I mean rats….I mean squirrels…