The Road to Raleigh

road to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threadsroad to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threads
While it wasn’t my first time to North Carolina, this trip was my first to Raleigh, and one of only a handful of trips I’ve ever taken to what I’d consider “the south.”

Technically, Frederick is just below the Mason-Dixon line, but any self-respecting southerner would laugh in my face if I were to claim that meant we were southern. I’m not sure where the real line is… maybe somewhere mid-Virginia, right about the time you start to see more churches than Starbucks.

So you might not be surprised to hear that I had next to no idea what to expect…

road to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threads
And maybe that’s why I was so shocked.

I expected a nice southern college town with some seriously rad barbeque — what I didn’t expect was a place that felt more like the west coast than the east. Bike trails, awesome food, great breweries. Add a few thousand more hippies and Raleigh could be Eugene.

We had a great time wandering around, snapping shots of the town, and eating a ton of good food.

–> If I were blessed with just a slightly higher metabolism, I think I might eat the mac & cheese at Poole’s 3 meals a day.

road to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threads
On the way back from Raleigh we took our time, stopping here and there to check out the sights… and even taking the veeeery long way around, through Shenandoah National Park for the sunset.

road to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threads
We were back home later than we would have liked, but sometimes it’s worth an extra day to move a little more slowly… especially if it puts you in the middle of the woods with no cell reception and a gorgeous sunset.

Then you start to wish you had all the time in the world.

road to raleigh, hopscotch / a thousand threads

1. Posted September 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

We should have started in DC and driven South–maybe then I wouldn’t have been so surprised by Georgia! These images are beautiful.

2. Posted September 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Poole’s Mac and Cheese is by far the best in Raleigh. Next time you should check out Ashley’s other restaurants, especially Beasley’s Chicken + Honey. Probably my fave restaurant right now!

Posted September 11, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, Annie, we wanted to go to them all!! They look amazing — she’s really kicking ass down there. We’ll definitely check Beasley’s out the next time around.

3. Posted September 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

north carolina is definitely on my list of places to visit! your pictures are just solidifying this!

4. Posted September 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Oh here it is! 🙂 Love these photos! My old roommate is from Raleigh and I always pictured a nice southern college town too! What a surprise! You captured it beautifully!!

5. Posted September 10, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Haha! How funny! I’ve never been to the South. I’ve always been a bit worried about the heat… and the bugs…

Posted September 11, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Jade. We have to talk about the bugs. I had NO idea there were so many more disgusting giant things even just on the east coast compared to the west! Over there it’s so straightforward: mosquitos, flies, grasshoppers… oh no, nothing like that here. It kills me! I really don’t think I could live in the south for that reason alone. Also, in some parts the hurricanes… terrified of the hurricanes. My sister lives in Louisiana, she’s braver than me. 🙂

2 Trackbacks