Optimize your pictures for the web

how to optimize your pictures for the web / a thousand threads
Hey bloggers and creatives, do you optimize your pictures before putting them on the web? I’m guessing you do. But if you have no idea what I’m talking about (because until yesterday, I was with you…) then do I have some news that will blow your mind.

For months (years) now I’ve been struggling with an irritating grey tone… one that wouldn’t show up on my laptop, but damnit if it didn’t show up every single time I pinned something I’d posted. I thought it was something in my editing, maybe my screen (I needed a desktop, desktops are always better for photo editing!)… or what if it was the light, the shot itself? I was one step away from an asylum when I came across this article on the Alt Blog.

I thought, “Huh, what is this “save for the web” thing? Maybe I should try it out…”

And then, as Emeril would say

But tell me now, is this one of those super simple things I was already supposed to know? Or are you with me? Because I’m feeling a little silly for all of these years of un-optimized, sad, grey little photos like the one on the top left.

1. Posted September 17, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Isn’t it crazy how much of a difference optimizing for web makes? It’s such an important steps that not all bloggers know about. Thanks for sharing!

Posted September 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Such a huge difference!! And I’m totally guilty of being one of those bloggers. 🙂

2. Posted September 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this, Laicie! Mmmm…I guess I haven’t been optimizing my photos? lol! I’m really not sure! But I’ll try this step by step next time!

Posted September 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

It will change your life! Haha okay maybe it’s not that drastic, but really… it does make a big difference. 😉

3. Posted September 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I certainly hadn’t been doing this–genius!

4. Posted September 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

I definitely haven’t been optimizing my photos!! What a great tip!

5. Posted September 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I’m guilty of that!!! Sometimes I just don’t have the time!!! Haha!!!

6. Posted September 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing this! I haven’t been doing this, I’ll make sure to get to it next time. I know what you mean, I hate it when my photos have weird tints I never saw in the first place. It’s frustrating!

7. Posted September 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I remember the day I found this nugget of information out. It was a magical day…

3 Trackbacks

• By Lovely & Unrelated | lark&linen on September 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

[…] believe aren’t photographs :: Never again will I ruin a batch of french toast :: An essential blogging tip I only recently learnt! :: Have you heard about Freutcake’s Freutcamp? I’m so excited […]

• […] Optimize Your Photos for the Web – Laicie of 1000 Threads […]

• […] definitely never heard of anything like SEO. Looking back, I marvel at how long it took me to learn some of the simplest things. But sometimes it’s simple things that can be the hardest. I can’t tell you how long I […]