A Quick Trip to NYC

nyc / a thousand threads
It was just a short trip to New York this weekend, but we made sure we fit in as much as we could.

… and by as much as we could, of course I mean food.

nyc / a thousand threadsnyc / a thousand threads
Before meeting my parents in Newark we stopped by Kinfolk Studios for a Swede Dog — and I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to eat a traditional hot dog again. Dill, pickled cucumbers, mashed potatoes and caramelized onions, all wrapped inside a toasty Swedish flatbread with a perfect iced latte on the side. I couldn’t stop talking about the flavors for the rest of the day.

brunch at pub & kitchen / a thousand threads
Then after a relaxing night in Mount Laurel part-way home, we stopped for the most decadent brunch I’ve had in a long time — mussels, lamb meatballs, champagne cocktails and sour cherry brew — at Pub & Kitchen in Philadelphia. The sun was shining, the weather was warm (but not hot) and every bite was good enough to die.

brunch at pub & kitchen / a thousand threads
^ Caught taking pictures of my food.

brunch at pub & kitchen / a thousand threads
Of course I haven’t even mentioned the hot pastrami and cheesecake we delivered to my parents at the airport — just a little taste of New York on their way through.

The whole trip was as good as it gets. The weather, the traffic, the parking, the food, and especially getting to see my parents off. Even if it was just a few hours, it made my day.

Tell me — do you plan your trips around food like we do? Some might say it’s a bad habit, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

1. Posted September 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hubby and I don’t plan our mini get-aways around found but darn … maybe we should. I sooo have to try a swedish hot dog (you had me at carmelized onions!).

2. Posted September 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

You’re making me hungry. And I most definitely do plan my trips around food! Sometimes it’s the only part of my trips that I do plan šŸ™‚

3. Posted September 23, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

The best part about New York City is the food!! I’m glad you guys got that down! šŸ™‚

4. Posted September 23, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

oh I always plan my trips around food. and fully agree with jessica, the best part about nyc is definitely the food šŸ™‚

5. Posted September 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Y U M ā€“ what a perfect (read: delicious) weekend!

6. Posted September 25, 2013 at 8:04 am | Permalink

These pictures are fabulous! I absolutely love that mural! Stunning! šŸ™‚
    xo TJ