Ombre Tomatoes on Garlicky Bread

ombré tomatoes on garlicky bread / a thousand threadsombré tomatoes on garlicky bread / a thousand threads
So I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but here on the east coast, summer’s been sticking around. The heat, humidity, and summer storms we all felt so lucky to miss out on in August have decided to swoop in and take over our fall.

And while it’s sticky and sweaty totally unfair… I can’t really complain.

Nothing is worse than the cold… and in this house, anything that wards it off just a little bit longer is welcome, even if it does mean the hot apple cider will have to stay on the shelf.

I’ll just kill the pain with a few more of these tasty end-of-summer tomatoes (we still have so many from our garden!).

ombré tomatoes on garlicky bread / a thousand threads
I was inspired by this gorgeous recipe from Martha, but because we’re big fans of garlic and toasty bread… a few tasty changes had to be made. We added some minced garlic and toasted the tomatoes on the bread. Then we added just a little bit of basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze to top it off. The bread was great hot and even better cold, and the perfect treat for our hot summer October day.

Ombre Tomatoes on Garlicky Bread
Adapted from Martha Stewart

1 large rustic Italian loaf, such as ciabatta
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
3 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, ranging in color from red to yellow to green
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus rub
1 1/2 teaspoons flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, divided
Freshly ground pepper
Chopped fresh basil
1-2 tablespoons balsamic glaze

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice loaf horizontally to create 2 long halves. Rub top of each half with olive oil.

Bake bread until just beginning to turn golden brown.

Spread minced garlic over the top of each half, then cut tomatoes into thin slices and arrange in an ombré pattern on the bread. Drizzle bread with a generous 1/4 cup oil. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt; season with pepper.

Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until tomatoes begin to soften and bread is good and toasty. Top with fresh basil and balsamic glaze.

Cut toasty tomato-topped bread into wedges and serve.

ombré tomatoes on garlicky bread / a thousand threads

1. Posted October 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Oh Laicie, this looks SO good! And beautiful! My kind of meal 🙂

2. Posted October 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

How gorgeous!

3. Posted October 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

This is so pretty, it’s almost a sin to eat it!

4. Posted October 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

So gorgeous! Fresh heirloom tomatoes are so delicious and this would have been perfect his past weekend, too! It has been warm here in NYC also, like summer – what’s up with that?!

5. Posted October 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

This looks SO good! I love it, will definitely have to try!

6. Posted October 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Saw the ombre tomatoes on the cover of MS Living a few issues back and thought it was the most gorgeous thing ever, but I dare say yours is even more beautiful!

7. Posted October 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

This is everything that is good in the world. Heaven!

8. Posted October 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

simple flavors at their best! i’m also so jealous of your green thumbs!

9. Posted October 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Have mercy, this is beautiful!!! I love how you used the different colored tomatoes. Perfection.