My day to day // Keeping up with work, life, and everything in between

my day to day schedule / a thousand threads
Since I run this blog and work a full-time job, I get asked a lot about my schedule, work-life balance, and how I fit it all in.

I also get asked a lot about my commute, which is about an hour and a half each way, split between a short drive and a slightly longer train ride (although when the traffic feels the need to reach out and ruin my day, that short drive can easily become a whole lot longer…).

I won’t lie and say its easy, but I’m also the kind of person who thrives on being busy… so I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Here’s what my schedule looks like day to day…

///// Monday /////
I’m lucky right now to work a flex schedule that allows me to condense my work week into four 10-hour days. That doesn’t mean I’m not available for phone calls or even the occasional assignment on my day off (Monday) but it does mean that at least I can do it from home, which saves me about 3 hours of round-trip commuting time to DC.

Instead, I use my Mondays to work on the blog. I catch up on email, shoot pictures for posts, and try to prep as much as I can for the week ahead.

Since I’m home, I also try to use the time to tidy up the house and get things in order. If bills are due I’ll pay them then. If we need groceries I’ll run to the store.

The rest of my week is so frenzied, Monday sort of becomes a catch-all.

///// Tuesday & Wednesday /////
Normal work days.

I wake up around 6 (5 if it’s a running day), get dressed and in the car by 7-730 (more often than not it’s 730, but that means I’m running a little late and might end up on the last train), get into the office by around 9 and stay until around 7. Most days I don’t take a real lunch (I know… sad desk lunches aren’t glamorous at all, but such is my life). Then I head home, walking through the door at around 830… at which point I immediately put on the comfiest clothes I can find.

From 830-10 (or so) I work on the next day’s post, editing pictures and writing the text. If I’m up past 10, Mark might head off to bed without me. If I’m beat too, the writing might spill over into my 45 minute train ride the next morning.

///// Thursday /////
Same deal, but I have an Everygirl post to write and edit in addition to my own. I’m almost never in bed by 10.

///// Friday /////
On Friday nights I try to relax. Work is the same schedule, but nothing is due the next day. We get Austin in bed around 8, then we catch up on the DVR… probably with a beer or a glass of wine in hand.

///// Saturday & Sunday /////
On Saturdays and Sundays, family plans take precedence over anything else — and we usually have a lot of them. The good thing is, these often include eating tasty food or having fun parties with friends… so Mark brings along a camera and freaks everyone out, and then we make sure the shots go up on the blog. (I try not to post anything I think they’d hate.)

Right now I also have a long run to get in, which I usually do on Sundays. Mark and I pack up the car and head somewhere with mile-markers (the Capital Crescent Trail is a favorite) and I plug away at it for a couple hours while he tools around on his bike. Then we usually have a nice (but not too nice, I’m sweaty and look like death) lunch and head home to rest.

Sometimes on the weekends I have a big post planned and need Mark’s help. Since he’s home, we’ll make a day of it… and because we really enjoy being together, no matter what we’re up to, it’s pretty great. (Honestly it might even be better when we’re able to create something amazing together.)

And during the weekend, no matter how busy we are, we almost always try to get in something special just for us. Whether it’s dinner at our favorite restaurant or a movie night in, we try to make sure we take time away, just for each other. It’s the best part of my week, and something I hope we can remember to do always.

In addition to everything else, I try to fit in a little time to write whenever I can. And, of course, things always come up, but — largely due to the fact that I have so much support at home — I’m able to get it all in and still have the time to occasionally spend an entire day catching up on Downton Abbey. I deal with work-life balance by incorporating as much of my life into my work as I possibly can, and try to always have fun along the way.

The second it stops being fun is the second I have to take another look… but for now (and hopefully for always) the benefits continue to outweigh the costs.

Photo via.

1. Posted October 10, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Great post! I work full time also, married but no kids yet and I have a blog partner and the schedule is still upper hectic. Nice to see a peek into someone else’s busy schedule to keep me a little sane. Well worth it though!

2. Posted October 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Love this post idea! As I have a full time job, run by own business, and manage daily posts on my blog – my days look a lot like yours. I would love the thought of a four-day work week because I need another day off! I know what you mean about having good work-life balance. If you work hard, you can play hard (which usually means marathoning a show in bed with my husband and cat.) Thank you for sharing something that could be very personal with us!

3. Posted October 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

PHEW! But I love that I’m not the only working girl who eats lunch at their desk…

4. Posted October 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

An hour and a half!!!! Oh my, I commute from Arlington to Reston and I thought that was bad at 45 minutes.

5. Posted October 10, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Holy Moly, Laicie!! You are one busy lady! I can’t believe you commute for an hour and a half. I considered it *for a second* because I really wanted to live outside the city in a cute town up north, but then I realized how crazy that would be for me šŸ™‚ But there are so many people who do it! I’m just like you, I have a full time job and my blog so I’m super busy on a daily basis. I usually don’t go to bed until about 3am! But I love being busy and I love being creative so I have nothing to complain about. I love getting insight on other busy people and see how they juggle their work/life balance so thank you for this post!! You’re wonder-woman! xo

6. Posted October 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

WOW laicie! agree with jessica, you’re wonder woman hahah. I have to say, it’s so nice to see that you and mark set aside time for each other every weekend no matter how busy you two are šŸ™‚ Also, I haven’t had a real lunch in a while… here’s hoping we both get a real lunch soon šŸ˜‰

7. Posted October 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

it’s amazing how many of us don’t have a “real lunch” anymore, including myself. i remember us having this talk about your schedule. dunno how you do it!

8. Posted October 11, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Your dedication to writing is inspiring! It makes reading your blog and In the Know posts even more meaningful knowing that there’s a real person putting their precious time and efforts into it. Sometimes I think it’s easier for other people to blog because they have more time than me. (Ha!) Then I read one of these real-life, tell-it-like-it-is posts and I realize we’ve all got the same amount of time. It’s all in what you do with it.

9. Posted October 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Your schedule is impressive. I am amazed at all you do and still find the time to blog. You are amazing for sure! xx A

10. Emily
    Posted October 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I love this practical explanation of how you find balance. Until someone breaks down their schedule, it’s hard to see how they truly do it all. You’re a busy lady! I’m always impressed when one can manage a full-time job, blog, and still have time for family and friends. You seem to be doing it well!! 4 day work weeks are awesome and someday I hope to get back to this.

• Posted October 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Whoops, didn’t link myself. Just so you know I’m not a completely random Emily. šŸ™‚

11. Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Wow what a commute! I have dreams of living out with more fresh and space (currently in DC too!) but also love my city life. Just waiting for the moment to arrive when me and my husband decide it’s time to make a change. Thanks for sharing your day-to-day with us.

Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Aww I know it’s hard when you weigh the two… I love it out in Frederick, but I think I’d love the city too.

One Trackback

• By 52 dates // 1 | A Thousand Threads on January 6, 2014 at 9:17 am

[…] mentioned once before that as a rule, Mark and I try to do something special just for us about every week — even if […]