How to toast the best pumpkin seeds you’ve ever had

how to toast pumpkin seeds / a thousand threads #recipes #pumpkin
Hands down, the best part of carving a pumpkin is toasting the seeds. But while I’ve religiously toasted pumpkin seeds my whole life, I’ve always been a little messy about it… clearing away most of some of the gunk, dousing them in salt, and letting them sit until they’re good and golden brown.

This weekend though, Mark set me straight. Having never toasted a single seed in his life, he turned to the internet and came up with a process I’d never even thought to try, and wouldn’t you know… the results were better than anything I’d ever had.

how to toast pumpkin seeds / a thousand threads #recipes #pumpkin
How to toast the best pumpkin seeds you’ve ever had…

The secret is to boil the seeds for about 10 minutes in salt water (after cleaning them off of course… I know, I didn’t want to either) which results in a crispier outer shell.

After boiling, drain the seeds and pat dry. Then toss in a bit of oil (we used coconut oil, but you could use olive, depending on the flavor you’re going for) and whatever seasoning you’d like.

A few ideas:
// cinnamon and cayenne
// sriracha
// curry powder
// orange zest and ginger
// chili powder and lime
// rosemary and thyme
// cumin and garlic

And of course, I’d add a little salt to all of those. You can never go wrong with a little salt.

how to toast pumpkin seeds / a thousand threads #recipes #pumpkin
Then spread on a pan (like you see here) and roast for 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Flip (or just stir around, it’s pretty hard to flip them all) and roast another 5-10. Then enjoy!

** The important thing to remember is that the inner seed cooks a whole lot faster than the outer shell, so the browning of the outer shell isn’t really a trustworthy indicator. Once you’ve gotten halfway through your baking, reach in and snap one shell open just to be sure.

1. Posted October 15, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Oh this is awesome, Laicie! My parents eat pumpkin seeds what it seems like every single day, so I’m definitely showing this to them – they will love all your seasoning suggestions too!

Yummy!

Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Aww I hope they do!! That’s so cool they eat them all the time. πŸ™‚

2. Posted October 15, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

what a great idea!! I can’t wait to try these – pumpkin seeds are one of my favorite parts of fall!

Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Mine too!! It just isn’t fall without them. πŸ™‚

3. Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Hmmm this is making me hungry! Been reading blogs all morning and now I want to make homemade pizza, tortillini soup, peanut butter brownies, apple crisp and now toasted pumpkin seeds!

Ali of Dressing Ken

Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

OMG Ali you’re making my mouth water… yum!! All of that sounds amazing.

4. Posted October 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Mmmm love pumpkin seeds! I’ve never toasted them, though – but must try this season. Your suggestions (cinnamon and cayenne!) for sure make me want to try some of them out!

5. Posted October 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I wish that I read this yesterday. I made pumpkin seeds last night and they didn’t turn out as expected. Now I want to buy a new pumpkin and make seeds using this method.I am sure they were much better than mine haha.

6. Posted October 16, 2013 at 4:55 am | Permalink

I had no idea you can eat them! They definitely look great!

7. Posted October 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Pinned πŸ˜‰

Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Aww thanks lady!!

2 Trackbacks

• By Happy Weekend! Links / Oct 27 | The Fete Blog on October 27, 2013 at 7:03 pm

[…] the season for pumpkin seeds– I’m bookmarking this fail-proof seed-roasting process for years to […]

• By Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - Two Places at Once on November 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm

[…] bad the squirrels got it the next day. But we still got the seeds! I found a great recipe through 1000 Threads. Once we got all the seeds and gunk ( technical term) out of the pumpkin, I cleaned the seeds. […]