It’s Practically Christmas

wes anderson's latest, a tiny skull ring, diy clay pumpkins, and a dark chocolate and hazelnut cake / a thousand threads
It really hit me this week. We haven’t even made it to Halloween, but it feels like Christmas is just around the corner, waiting to knock down the door. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge fan of Christmas. Christmas Vacation, Love Actually, Dean Martin, Tom Waits, Singapore Slings (have we talked about my family’s random traditions?). Christmas is one of my favorite parts of the year.

But let’s also not pretend that it’s not a little stress-inducing. The added expense, the quest to find the perfect gifts, the extra obligations… we put a lot of pressure on ourselves around the holidays. And it’s all coming up soon. Halloween (and Mark’s birthday), then our anniversary, then Thanksgiving (and a big family trip to New York) and Christmas… it’s all about to hit, and I have to admit that the gravity of that hit me hard today.

It’s going to be an amazing few months, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world… but it’s also about to get very, very busy.

One more reason to take it a little easier this weekend (or maybe get started on that shopping early?).

What do you think? Do you start to worry around this time of the year, like me? Or am I way early to the game and just stressing you out? (I’m sorry!)

Eye the trailer for Wes Anderson’s latest, The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Buy a tiny gold skull ring for Halloween (and beyond).

Make these adorable little clay pumpkins.

Bake this rich dark chocolate and hazelnut cake.

Oh hey and about those holidays, here are a few tips to keep you (well, your editorial calendar) sane.

Rebecca Romijn’s “hand bra” (just in time for breast cancer awareness).

8 awesome cookbooks you need for fall.

The case for deleting all of your apps (would you do it?).

1. Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I find that early prep for Xmas keeps me from getting overly anxious–but boy is it a busy time! Hope your weekend’s off to a wonderful start!

Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

You’re SO good at that Lena! I always think of you when I’m shopping at the very last minute haha. I wish I could be as organized as you for the holidays. Hope you had a great weekend!!

2. Posted October 19, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Ohh I want to bake that dark chocolate and hazelnut cake!! Deleting all my apps? I’d like to think I don’t have a lot of apps to begin with! 😉

Happy weekend, Laicie!

Posted October 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Good for you!! I have so many I don’t need. I definitely need to weed a few out. 🙂 Have a great weekend!!

3. Posted October 20, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

As a singaporean, I’m definitely intrigued about how singapore slings fit into your family’s christmas traditions! hahahah

Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Haha!! It’s funny, actually… most of our traditions make no sense at all. My whole life, my grandfather always make Singapore Slings for the holidays. We’d (okay well the adults would) have them with appetizers before dinner. Now Mark and I make them and do the same. 🙂 I actually had his recipe on the blog a million years ago… I think it was one of the first!

4. Posted October 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Christmas is a busy time of the year, but it´s totally worth it !
    craving that dark chocolate cake =)

mariana

5. Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

It just hit me this weekend too! I blame the (lovely) chill that seems to have arrived in our area (I live in DC!). Oy, so many things to make, gifts to buy, travel plans to coordinate. All wonderful but yes, stressful!

Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

You’re so right!! I think that’s it for me too! We were still stuck in summer for such a long time, but the cold is a little reminder that winter is almost here.