Shutdown shmutdown // Let’s help small businesses make up their loss

let's help small businesses make up their loss from the government shutdown -- visit a park, eat at an independent restaurant, buy something fun... help out however you can! Use the hashtag #shutdownshmutdown when you do!
Things are slowly getting back to normal here in DC — but the rest of the country still has some time. Small businesses located outside of America’s national parks suffered through 16 days of shutdown, and are struggling to make up for lost time.

Some are even struggling to make up for their crucial fall rush (if you’ve ever been to Shenandoah when the leaves are changing, you know what I mean).

So here’s the thing. We can’t turn back time and take it back. And we also can’t stop Congress from doing it again. So let’s do what we can now to make up the loss and prepare for the next time around.

1 // Visit a national park — they’re beautiful, and you know you need the fresh air.

2 // While you’re there, eat at a local restaurant or take home a souvenir from a nice mom & pop. Do what you can to help out.

3 // Tell your friends to do the same. Use the hashtag #shutdownshmutdown on Instagram, Twitter, and all of your social media accounts. (And while you’re at it, tag me too. Just because I’d love to know if this is taking hold. @laicie on Instagram, @1000threads on Twitter.)

Screw this thing. Let’s not worry about if and when — whether it might happen again. Let’s fix it for ourselves.

And hey, I know we’re not all close to a national park, or able to invest the time and money to travel. That’s okay. Consider donating to one of these organizations that worked hard to fill in the gaps. They need it now more than ever, especially if they’re going to have to do this all over again.

P.S. The more you share this plan, the more it will take hold… so if you can’t do either, don’t worry. Believe me, I understand. All you have to do is share this news. I’m willing to bet that you have at least one friend who will help out on your behalf.

1. Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

These are some great tips, you’re such a wonderful person to get the word out there and create some awareness!

Posted October 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks lady! It’s not much, but I figure if one person goes who wouldn’t have before, I’ve made some small difference. It’s such a shame that the media isn’t talking more about the side-effects of the shutdown.

2. Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Excellent idea!!! I really believe in this as well…also who wouldn’t want to visit Great Falls and other parks right now? So gorgeous.

Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Yes!! I couldn’t agree more. It’s the best time of the year. 🙂

3. Posted October 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

totally true, Laicie! These are great tips!! We all need to do our part – we’re in this together!

4. Posted October 21, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic suggestion!

5. Posted October 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Great tips, Laicie!!! We need to all come together and help each other out!

Will be sharing this <3

Posted October 21, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks Victoria!! 🙂

6. Posted October 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Oh! You are so brilliant! So happy to have stumbled upon your blog this afternoon. I live in California and I make trips out every month to parks here… Yosemite being my absolutely favorite! And this whole Gov’t shutdown is an absolutely joke, such a mess. And just ridiculous. I really loved what you wrote and couldn’t agree more!!

Posted October 22, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Aww thank you Latrina I’m so glad you did too! I’m jealous that you’re so close to Yosemite we’ve been meaning to get there for years and never have the time when we’re out that way! One of these days. But we’ll definitely be hitting up Gettysburg and maybe Shenandoah soon. 🙂

7. Posted October 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Rock on, girlfriend! What a great message!

8. Posted October 27, 2013 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Yes, agree with all the other ladies! I live in DC too and suffered the shutdown shmutdown, and glad you are taking a positive spin on it and making lemonade out of lemons. Great advice!