A Sunday hike on Sugarloaf Mountain

sugarloaf mountain / a thousand threadssugarloaf mountain / a thousand threads
Mark’s birthday and his father’s are close, so we always have a week of celebration at the end of October. And when we’re lucky, the weather is just right for a family hike.

When Austin was 3 and 4, he’d toddle up the hill, using his hands and feet to climb over the rocks.

sugarloaf mountain / a thousand threads
Now he runs ahead of us all… laughing, telling stories, singing songs… never getting winded (or even taking a breath).

sugarloaf mountain / a thousand threads
The leaves have mostly fallen by now, but they crunch under your feet as you walk, and nothing feels more like fall. It’s the best.

Even the graffiti is happy on Sugarloaf Mountain.

sugarloaf mountain / a thousand threads
(Seriously man… to hell with Banksy, we have furbies for street artists here in MD.)

sugarloaf mountain / a thousand threads
What are some of your fall family traditions? Is there one particular activity you do year after year?

1. Posted October 28, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Aw, hiking is definitely one of the best things 🙂
    Glad to see you had a wonderful weekend!

2. Posted October 28, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

love hiking! I need to do a little more here in portland before the leaves are all gone!

3. Posted October 28, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I love this so much! I haven’t been to Sugarloaf yet, but I’m taking my boyfriend hiking on the Billy Goat Trail next weekend as a surprise to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. There is nothing better than being outside. Together. 🙂

Posted October 28, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Oh I LOVE the Billy Goat Trail… it’s one of our favorites. 🙂 There really is nothing better.

4. Posted October 28, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

How Fun!! I loveee hiking, unfortunately we don’t go as often as I’d like! But we will make time for it now that the weather has cooled down and leaves are starting to fall!

Glad you had a wonderful weekend, Laicie!

5. Posted October 28, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I heart cute stuff cracked me up–what a wonderful way to spend a Sunday!

6. Posted October 28, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

What a fun tradition! I love hiking in the fall. We always carve pumpkins together in late October. My hubby’s uncle used to host a family reunion every October at his (amazing) farm, but not this year.