Homemade Vanilla Bean Bourbon Applesauce

homemade vanilla-bourbon applesauce / a thousand threads
Apple desserts are my weakness. If they’re in the house, it’s only a matter of time before I’ll finish them off (recent case in point: an entire leftover container full of apple crisp that we’d already had for dessert didn’t make it through the night).

And even though you might not traditionally call applesauce dessert, trust me, the vanilla and bourbon in this one change the game. Especially if you add a little ice cream.

But hey, it still counts as a fruit serving right? It’s totally healthy.

… as long as you don’t mind the butter… or sugar… or vanilla and bourbon.

Then it’s fine.

homemade vanilla-bourbon applesauce / a thousand threadshomemade vanilla-bourbon applesauce / a thousand threads
Vanilla Bean Bourbon Applesauce

10 soft apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Soft apples are the best for baking — We used McIntosh)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook apples in a large pot over medium heat. As they begin to cook down, add other ingredients. Stir and mash apples as they cook, the mixture should bubble softly. Time will depend on the apples you use and the consistency you desire. McIntosh apples cook down very quickly. A slightly harder apple will take a little more time. And I always like my applesauce a little chunky.

Serve with ice cream or a little creme fraiche.

homemade vanilla-bourbon applesauce / a thousand threads

1. Posted October 29, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Omg Laicie! This looks soooo good! Never had anything like this. Of course it would never last a day in my house either 😉

2. Posted October 29, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

I’ve made plain old applesauce before, but never thought to add in vanilla and bourbon. What was I thinking?! This sounds absolutely amazing!

3. Posted October 29, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

LOL you’re totally right – it’s still counts as a fruit even with all those other stuff in it!!! This looks delicious – adding the vanilla and bourbon…yum, I can only imagine!! I’ll have to give it a try!

4. Posted October 29, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

ha as long as I don’t mind butter ,sugar, and bourban? You are speaking my love language.

5. Posted October 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Y U M !

6. Posted October 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

You are amazing!!!
    This is beyond heavenly.. i’m so bumped my mixer is broken, i would so do that on our halloween party! :/

7. Posted October 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I must try this!…it sounds so delicious!

8. Posted October 29, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Oh goodness, this needs to happen. I’m such an apple dessert kind of person too! I’d much prefer an apple crisp with vanilla ice cream over anything chocolate 🙂

9. Posted October 29, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Yum! I’m actually not a huge apple fan but this looks super tempting! Add sugar, butter and booze to just about anything and it’s gonna be good 🙂