How to organize your blog’s editorial calendar

how to organize your editorial calendar / a thousand threads
I’ve gone through a lot of different types of editorial calendars. Lists, yearly calendars with just a quick overview, monthly planning alongside the rest of my work… but it’s only recently that I’ve found something that really works.

Of course, I share this with the caveat that this is what works for me. Everyone is a little bit different. But what I’ve found is that there are a few very specific (very detailed) things I need to keep an effective editorial calendar.

1 // It needs to be separate from the rest of my work. Even from my blog-related appointments.

For a long time I tried to keep everything together, and it was just too easy to let the editorial planning fall by the wayside.

2 // It needs to be all-inclusive.

That sounds like a contradiction, but what I mean is that everything involved in my editorial planning needs to be contained in one place. That means the brainstorming, the scheduling, and the planning.

First, I’ll brainstorm a list of posts based on a pre-set list of topics. Then I’ll use that list to fill in my calendar, and adjust the topics accordingly. Last, I’ll plan when any prep for a post needs to take place. Scheduling is only half the battle, after all.

3 // I still need a to-do list and an appointment calendar.

Such is my busy life and obsessive compulsive planning problem. The editorial calendar happens in Google Docs, the appointments are recorded in my Google Calendar, and the to-do list is updated in TeuxDeux.

Technically, I love to keep a paper planner… but I’ve finally given in to the fact that they’re just too much to carry around.

And if I can’t carry it around, it’s not any use.

Here’s an example of my own editorial calendar for November.

It’s pretty rudimentary, but it works just perfectly for me. And I’m so excited that I’ve finally found something that does that I just had to share.

Photo via.

1. Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

This is so helpful! i had no idea what editorial calendar was lol
    thanks for sharing!

2. Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I got so excited when I saw this post title. I’m currently testing out systems for myself. Right now I’m using my google calendar and creating a morning reminder with each post title I’d like to try but I like the idea of storing things in google docs too. I don’t have too many appointments yet, but maybe that will change in the future!

3. Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’m with Corina lol I’ve heard of editorial calendars, but really had no idea what it was… thanks so much for sharing this, Laicie! So helpful!

4. Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

How funny–mine looks so much like this! I like to do it on paper, but if it weren’t for that simple monthly calendar, I think I’d be lost!

5. Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I scheduled my posts out through the end of the year and much like yours, I have notes and colors on what posts when. It’s so much easier to have an editorial calendar and it gives you the flexibility to change your schedule. Having it separately from my other calendars has been so beneficial as well.

6. Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

So helpful! I’ve been trying to come up with a better way to organize my thoughts when it comes to my blog. Thank you!

Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

So glad I could help!!

7. Posted November 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing! I’m still such a sucker for a paper planner though!

Posted November 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Aww I can understand that. 🙂 I love writing things down on paper.

8. Posted November 21, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I am so happy to have stumbled upon this, Laicie! I just wrote about this very topic today. Glad to see I’m not the only one who knows how beneficial an editorial calendar can be! 🙂

This was so good!

9. kim box
    Posted August 6, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

do you happen to know what web site this is in the photo? Really pretty.

One Trackback

• […] The thought of an editorial calendar has me drooling. One of the blogs I read regularly recently posted about her editorial calendar. Something like this would help me greatly, but I didn’t […]