Edible Gifts // Hot Buttered Rum

hot buttered rum / a thousand threads
Nothing is better than hot buttered rum on a cold winter night — it’s a scientifically proven fact.

So what could be a better hostess gift for all of the late fall and winter parties to come?

hot buttered rum / a thousand threads
This particular recipe is perfect, because the mix can be wrapped in parchment and delivered with a bottle of rum.

Conveniently, then… your friends will have all the tools they need to drink it that night.

… and naturally, to share with their thoughtful friend.

hot buttered rum / a thousand threadshot buttered rum / a thousand threads
Hot Buttered Rum

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water or apple cider

Cream together butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and vanilla. Roll out into a cylinder (pictured above), wrap in parchment paper, and freeze until firm. Give wrapped mixture as a gift, or pull out whenever you want a cup.

When ready, slice off about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into a small mug. Pour 2-3 ounces of rum into each mug and top with boiling water or apple cider. Serve immediately.

hot buttered rum / a thousand threads

1. Posted November 6, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I just got goosebumps! haha that sounds like an awesome drink! can’t to wait to try it out.. sounds so warm and cozy

Posted November 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

It’s the best! So good when it’s cold. πŸ™‚

2. Posted November 6, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

What a clever gift idea!

Posted November 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks lady! πŸ˜‰

3. Posted November 6, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Can you believe I’ve never tried a hot buttered rum? This might need to change this season. I’m so ashamed

Posted November 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Oh you have to!! Actually my first was only in the past two years, but they’re delicious. πŸ™‚

4. Posted November 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Oooh my .. I just want to dive into this drink YUM!

5. Posted November 6, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

oh Laicie, you always have the most delicious sounding (and looking!) recipes around. This sounds so good.

6. Posted November 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Hello my new cold weather pick me up! I’ve never tried one before but I can’t way to give it a go.

7. Posted November 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

This looks AMAZING! I’ve never tried it, but you better believe I’ll be giving it as a gift this year. πŸ™‚ Also, are you going to the DC blogger event tomorrow. I’d love to say hi in person if you’re there!

Posted November 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

I haven’t heard about it!! I’m so terrible about keeping up with these things… I’d love to say hi too if I can make it!

8. Posted November 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Ooo! Last week we went to a tequila even where they made a hot buttered tequila. It was strangely delicious…

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Ooh that sounds delicious — and dangerous!

9. Posted November 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I probably say this every time, but your blog is just so beautiful! Now I have to admit, I’ve never tried buttered rum but I really want to. And when I do, I definitely am going to pretend it’s butterbeer.

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

And you are the sweetest in the world!

… also I want some butterbeer!

10. Posted November 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Yum looks so good! need to make this weekend, no doubt hubby is going to LOVE this!

3 Trackbacks