Who can teach me math?

favorites / a gorgeous green floor, fun baubles, a diy napping tent, and a beautiful savory galette
You wanna talk about international affairs? I’ve got you. Looking for a grammar nazi to edit your piece? I’m your girl.

… but ask me to find the circumference of a circle? I’m blank. My eyes will glaze over, there might be drool… it’s really bad. And I realize, and am terribly ashamed to say, that this makes me a product of a system that doesn’t emphasize this stuff to little girls (maybe we’re getting better at that? slowly) but there’s nothing I can do about the system now. Now — I have to take a test.

I’ve taken the GRE before, but that was before I entered my Masters program at least 5 (6 or 7?) years ago… and I can’t say I was good at it even then. So now, since I’ve decided (I hope) to apply to PhD programs this fall, I need to take it again. And you guys, studying is hell. I’m not even sure I knew this stuff in high school, let alone now.

But I tell you, I’m determined to get it down. So if you’re looking for me this nice long Veterans Day weekend, I wish you luck… I’ll be holed up in a corner babbling letters and numbers until my eyes bleed.

I know, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Actually I am lying a little. I’ll be venturing out for two very fun occasions (one of which is my anniversary!) but then I’ll be taking my studious self back to the books… the test is coming up on Tuesday, so I’ve got a lot to do!

Wish me luck.

Any big plans for this weekend?! They have to be better than the majority of mine.

Eye this gorgeous green floor (clearly I have a thing for green floors…).

Buy some lovely little baubles from the Veda House prop closet sale.

Make a napping tent (who wouldn’t want that?).

Bake this beautiful wild mushroom, fennel, & dancing fern galette.

Subway art.

How to write the worst possible column about millennials.

Some great podcast recommendations in the comments here.

I love this little diatribe on measuring cups vs. kitchen scales. I might be stubborn too.

Is this a real question? And a real criticism?

Why is it so much easier to be mean on the internets?

1. Posted November 8, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

2 pi radius!! Ok ok, I totally had to look that up šŸ™‚ Good luck with studying, and I hope you have a fun anniversary night out!

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Haha Gloria you’re the best. šŸ™‚ Thank you!!

2. Posted November 8, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the shout out!

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome!! I love your work and every single thing you have for sale! šŸ™‚

3. Posted November 8, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Studying for the GREs this fall was pure math hell. But at least I remember how to find the length of a side of a triangle!

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

A squared plus something or something. šŸ˜‰ I’m definitely not looking forward to it.

4. Posted November 8, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Oh wow girl! Happy anniversary AND good luck!! Unfortunately I haven’t got a long weekend – work on Monday! Have a good weekend!!

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Aww I’m sorry that’s no fun. Veterans Day is one of those weird ones we have off here in DC. Hope you have a good weekend though! And thank you!! šŸ™‚

5. Michelle Rundle
    Posted November 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Good Luck Laicie and Happy Anniversary!

Posted November 8, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks lady!! Can’t believe it’s already been a year.

6. Posted November 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Good luck dear!! Have a wonderful weekend!

7. Amanda L.
    Posted November 11, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I’m so late reading this, but if you need a little math help, I’m your girl! I got my BS in math and tutored it for years. I cannot resist turning seemingly non-math related issues into word problems. It’s a gift…. errr a curse. šŸ™‚