Edible Gifts // Homemade Eggnog

homemade eggnog / a thousand threads
Happy snowy Tuesday, everyone! It sounds like the weather is pretty frightful just about everywhere this week… and if you’re stuck inside like me, I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that you’re probably looking for something that looks a little bit like this. Creamy, comforting, filled with bourbon…

Bonus? This was my first time with homemade eggnog, and it was so much easier than expected.

homemade eggnog / a thousand threads
I also read this somewhere along my researching way, and have taken it as further proof that eggnog and alcohol should never, ever part.

So even though you can certainly make this recipe without the bourbon and I’m sure it will be just as delicious… I just don’t see why you ever would.

homemade eggnog / a thousand threadshomemade eggnog / a thousand threadshomemade eggnog / a thousand threads
Homemade Eggnog
Adapted from Alton Brown

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3-4 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

If you’re making this recipe with alcohol and feeling a little squeamish about the raw eggs, see here for a cooked version as well.

homemade eggnog / a thousand threads

1. Posted December 10, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Laicie your images are stunning. :) My mom would definitely appreciate if I attempted to make this for her on Christmas.

2. Posted December 10, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

As a Christmas advocate through and through, eggnog is ONE thing I just can’t get on board with. That said, this homemade version sounds slightly ridiculous and MAY be the ticket

3. Posted December 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Who could say no to a gorgeous Weck jar full of boozy joy? Not me!

4. Posted December 10, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Your photos are wonderful, Laicie! I’ve never tried eggnog before, can you believe that? Well actually I think I took a sip once, but I’ll have to make this ;)

5. Posted December 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Um…can you believe that I had my first eggnog on Thanksgiving?? I know, WHERE WAS I??? You probably think I’m crazy. It was awesome so I’m definitely giving this recipe a try – it looks absolutely delicious!!!

6. Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I have never even thought about making homemade egg nog! genuis. I do so love egg nog.

p.s. I adore these photos!

7. Posted December 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I was actually looking for a recipe for eggnog. I’ve never made one, but I remember that my grandma was making it but I was far too little to actually try it.

8. Jenna
    Posted December 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I am very much looking forward to trying this recipe for my Ugly sweater Christmas party! It will complement my ugly sweater shaped christmas cookies delightfully!

Posted December 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Aww so cute, have fun! Hope everyone loves it!!

2 Trackbacks