Of resolutions and reflections

resolutions / a thousand threads
Before we all left for the holidays, I signed up for The January Cure. For a while there I even considered participating, maybe blogging about the whole thing. And then I forgot all about it.

My first email arrived yesterday, with the first assignment: make a list of the things that need to be fixed, cleaned, and organized in each room of your house. But after a hectic Christmas and an even more hectic few months, I can’t say that the Cure looked as good in my inbox as I thought it might.

Resolutions? Sure. Plans? Yes. Dreams? Always. But right now I’m not feeling very good about checklists.

2013 was so busy, I’m left with the desire to both slow down and speed up — to focus. Focus on reading, focus on writing, focus on my health and my happiness, and focus on making this the best year yet. That doesn’t mean anything will really ease up — I’m sure I’ll still be busy. I just want to be more deliberate about the things I choose to take up the time. And, most of all, I want to be more deliberate about balancing the things that nurture my ambition with the things that nurture my soul.

I want to balance present Laicie with future Laicie, and I want to worry about the little things less.

So that piece of trim by the door that’s come undone? It can wait. The closets? They’ll get there eventually. The holiday weight? It’ll come off. But none of it has to happen this month.

January is a new start. It’s beautiful, and hopeful, and I love the freshness of it, that everything has been scrubbed clean. But that freshness will fade, and the life that takes its place won’t be perfect. It will be ours, with mistakes made and lessons learned, and it will be better every day. We will be better every day, because a lot of what makes us better will be the dirt that takes the place of the clean.

A lot of what makes life worth living rises from that dirt — just look at this guy. So who wants to be perfect? I’d so much rather be surprised.

1. Posted January 3, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

beautiful words that I can definitely relate to. And that video made this day so much better. 🙂 Happy New Year xo

2. Posted January 3, 2014 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Love your spirit for the new year! Why be bogged down with lists of chores to complete? Time is too precious. Happy New Year to you!

3. Posted January 3, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

What a good lesson to be learned. Focusing on the freshness and opening of such new wonders that the new year brings. A fresh start. Focus is definitely my “word” coming into 2014 to measure all goals against. (p.s. adorable photo!)

4. Posted January 3, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Adorable pic, Laicie love 🙂

5. Posted January 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Love this quote, and the attitude–why look for the problems when you can celebrate the best stuff?

6. Mom
    Posted January 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Omg I loved the video…..I also love your wise words daughter..

7. Posted January 3, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Well said, Laicie!! Can’t wait to see how 2014 turns out for all of us~

8. Posted January 3, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I love these words. It’s like, all of a sudden, we’ve been given this fresh slate to recreate ourselves. I’ve never felt more excited to jump into a new year. Thanks for these words Laicie!

9. Posted January 3, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Yes yes yes to everything you said, Laicie – especially that last paragraph, everything resonated with me SO much! Wishing you a very Happy New Year! So excited to get to know you even more through this lovely blog of yours! xo

10. Posted January 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Yes yes yes to all of this – I think we close ourselves off to new opportunities if we focus too much on very specific goals. They can be good but sometimes just backing off and living is even more wonderful.

Happy New Year’s!