52 dates // 1

52 dates // a thousand threads
I mentioned once before that as a rule, Mark and I try to do something special just for us about every week — even if that means opening a bottle of wine and watching a movie at home. It doesn’t have to be big and special, it just has to be us. So this year I thought we’d try something fun and record our dates for all of you. Maybe they’ll give you ideas, maybe it will just be a fun way for the two of us to look back and remember the year. Either way, I hope you love following along!

The date // dinner and a movie
The food // sushi and bao
The drink // sake
The movie // American Hustle

The story // You can chalk date one up to too much NPR – or just the right amount, depending on how you feel about NPR. Mark and I are both big fans, especially of the weekend programming – Car Talk, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, Radiolab, This American Life – and lately we’ve taken to driving just a little bit longer to hear the end of whatever program we’re listening to. Some of these shows are truly amazing and we always learn so much.

… okay this is really nerdy. But you’re with me, right?

So this weekend we were driving around, running a few errands, listening to The Splendid Table and learning all about bao – these little Asian steamed buns filled with all sorts of delicious things — and by the end of the show we were so hungry that we decided we had to track some down.

52 dates // a thousand threads
It’s funny that our dates should start with dinner and a movie, because I can’t remember the last time we went on such a traditional date. We love movies, but aren’t quite so big on crowded movie theaters, so we usually stick to Netflix at home. That is, until this Christmas — we’ve seen more movies in the theater than we’ve seen in the past six years, but they’ve all been so good!

So we found our bao — which was obviously totally delicious, I mean it’s a sticky bun filled with meat and goodness — and after dinner we went to see American Hustle. Traditional as can be, but we discovered a new tasty food along the way!

Oh… and there was a photo booth involved.

We had to do two because I messed us up.

1. Posted January 6, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

you guys! this is beyond adorable 🙂

2. Posted January 6, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Oh, I love this so much, Laicie – we may need to copy you on this since we haven’t been to the movies in umm..forever. I’m not really a movie person (don’t really like the crowds) so we tend to stick to Netflix too, but I think a change of scenery would be nice 😉 Love the photobooth photos – so fun!

3. Posted January 6, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I really love this idea, so cute. I really like how you have a date a week and how you are documenting each one.
    I love the photo strips too! My guy and I like to hop in a photo booth anytime we get the chance, they are such a fun and simple way to document our relationship over time. I always make sure and write the date + a little story about where we are in life at the time on the back. It has been a fun and exciting journey for sure!

4. Posted January 6, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Photobooths for the win. Always.

5. Posted January 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

What a great idea! John and I had bao no less than twice in the last few days–we’re trying all the dim sum places near us to find a very favorite!

6. Posted January 6, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

How cute! We’re Netflix at home people usually as well but we make time to see movies that we really really want to see. We’ve never taken a photobooth picture together! I know..outrageous.

7. Posted January 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Cuuuute! Love this idea and can’t wait to get some great ideas from you. I could totally use some new, fun date ideas (that aren’t too expensive).

8. Posted January 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Date nights are the best! My husband and I have been seeing a ton of movies lately too! There have just been so many good ones lately…

9. Posted January 8, 2014 at 12:24 am | Permalink

I love this so much! Will be so fun to follow along and borrow your date ideas. 🙂

One Trackback