Homemade chicken noodle soup

homemade chicken noodle soup / a thousand threads
When it comes to being sick, I’m a traditionalist. Chicken noodle soup, hot tea, warm blanket… prop me up on a couch and leave me there until it all goes away.

I’ll take the stuff, the NyQuil, the Theraflu, the this and that – but the only thing that ever really makes me feel good is the soup. That and ginger ale – even when it’s just a cold. I’m sure it’s all in my head but there’s just something about that stuff – it’s like Windex.

So this weekend, when both Mark and I were feeling bad, that sweet man did just the thing he knows I love and made me soup.

Homemade soup.

And just in case you’ve never had it, I need to tell you now that the homemade stuff isn’t even in the same category as the canned stuff – I’m pretty sure they’re different foods.

Sure, the Campbell’s can is nostalgic and the stuff can be tasty if all you really want is the broth. But for the real thing – the hearty, tasty, satisfying, cold-curing real thing – you just have to make it at home.

And, not to brag or anything, but Mark’s is the best…

homemade chicken noodle soup / a thousand threadshomemade chicken noodle soup / a thousand threads
Homemade chicken noodle soup

2 quarts water
3 quarts chicken stock
2 celery stalks with leaves, diced
2 carrots, diced
1/2 vidalia onion, diced
2 bone-in chicken breasts
5 bone-in chicken legs
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 bag wide egg noodles (or to your liking)

Combine water and chicken stock in a large pot. Boil chicken for 30 minutes in water and stock mixture, bone in. Remove chicken and debone, then return bones to the pot and boil for an additional hour.

While the stock is boiling, dice vegetables and shred chicken meat.

Remove bones from the stock and strain. Return stock to pot and add meat, vegetables, and spices. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add noodles and cook until both the noodles and vegetables are soft. Around 10 additional minutes.

Salt to taste.

homemade chicken noodle soup / a thousand threads

1. Posted January 15, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

oh yum! soups are my favourites, esp on a cold weather 🙂

2. Posted January 15, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Traditional chicken noodle soup and ginger ale are the ONLY things I want when I’m sick–hope they did the trick this weekend!

3. Posted January 15, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Yum!

4. Posted January 16, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Growing up I never thought I liked soup. And then I made my own soup one day and realized I LOVE soup. I’m liking those big noodles in this soup, looks extra slurpy. 😉

5. Posted January 16, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Ah! Nothing quite like homemade chicken noodle soup!! Being a vegetarian, this is the one thing I miss when I’m sick! 🙂 But of course, I can simply make this into a veggie noodle soup haha. This looks amazing, I hope you both are feeling much better! xo

6. Posted January 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Girl, you couldn’t be more spot on! Chicken noodle soup and ginger ale is like the Windex to a cold or flu! (love the reference!) Finding a good store bought chicken noodle is a hard thing to find, unfortunately enough. This recipe sounds purely delicious! and these photos are EXCELLENT! Something about food photography just makes my heart oh so happy…

Posted January 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Mine too! Thank you!! I’m so glad you liked the reference. 😉

7. Damiana
    Posted April 6, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Very delicious recipe. However I used 3qts broth and 2 cups water. I don’t have a big enough pot for what the recipe called for.