Alt summit love

alt edition link love / a thousand threads
If you’re spending a lot of time on the blogs this week and not headed to SLC, you probably feel like punching me right now. I’m sorry… I know. It’s a lot this time of year. It’s a lot for us all…

Outfits, media kits, business cards, blog updates — bloggers think about this stuff all the time, but for some reason when it comes down to crunch time (conference time) suddenly none of it feels like enough.

We want everything to be just that much better… or that much more organized… or just that much more new. (What is it about new clothes that makes them so much better than the rest? Even cheap new clothes from H&M. They win every time.)

So there’s a lot of “new” going on right now — a lot of organizing, a lot of perfecting. Or at least trying to perfect. And on one hand it’s totally overwhelming… but on another, and I think this is why we all have so much love and admiration for events like this, it’s also really inspiring.

There are a lot of really really talented creatives out there. And this is one time when you get to see them shine just that much brighter.

Stepping up your game might be a little stressful, but it’s also a blessing. One of many reasons we all look forward to conferences like this — whether we’re on the outside or in — is because they light a fire under our ass. They inspire us to do more, to create more, to refresh and renew… much like the new year. And what do you know, when it comes to the Alt Summit, the two coincide.

So ya, I’m obsessing. But that’s not always such a bad thing to do. We all do this thing called blogging because it’s what we love. The pressure to do more just reminds us of how much.

/////

Eye tons and tons of fantastic advice and information, including this outfit planner from Design Crush, to help you prepare.

Buy a pretty green dress for Thursday night’s green party.

Make some great business cards to show off to new friends.

Bake some tasty treats for the 4am trip to the airport.

/////

You should also make both of these beautiful scrubs — speaking of talented creatives.

This is BRILLIANT.

Amazing backstage Polaroids from the Golden Globes.

Kelly Oxford’s office.

These baked eggs look amazing.

In case you need a little extra encouragement from your desktop.

1. Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I’m bummed I’m not going – the SLC conference certainly sounds exciting! Guess I’ll be living vicariously through your recap posts 🙂

Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I am too, lady! I wish I was going to see you there! We’ll just have to plan on another Alt NYC soon. 😉

2. Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

This is such a wonderful perspective on the madness of Alt–have a fabulous time!

3. Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Have a great time! I’m also bummed to not be going, maybe next year! I’m definitely planning on Alt NYC though, I hope to see both you lovely ladies there! And don’t apologize for talking about alt, I might not be going, but I still find your passion inspiring!

4. Posted January 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Wish I could have gone. Have fun lady! xx Alecia

5. Posted January 18, 2014 at 12:07 am | Permalink

those oh happy day namecards… I saw them on instagram and just about exploded from how insanely cute they are.

6. Posted January 18, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Wish I could go this year again, and meet up like we did in NYC! Next year hopefully – have so much fun! xx

One Trackback