Homemade cashew milk that tastes better than the real stuff

homemade cashew milk / a thousand threads
Okay so maybe that’s subjective — but I think it tastes pretty amazing, and it definitely tastes better than the nut milk you buy in the stores.

Even if you’re not a big fan of the real stuff – you might like this. It’s sweet and creamy and really isn’t anything like what I usually imagine nut milk to be.

Hell, it’s even white. Is nut milk white? I’m thinking my Almond Breeze is usually a slightly more boring shade of bland. Which is perfect, because it matches the watery taste.

homemade cashew milk / a thousand threadshomemade cashew milk / a thousand threads
And there’s barely anything in it! The secret, I think, is soaking the nuts a whole lot, using warm water, and blending like crazy.

It’s not much, but it does the job — far from just a replacement, the stuff is actually addictive.

(Again… that might be subjective. But tell me what you think!)

Homemade Cashew Milk
Adapted from Bon Appétit

1 cup raw cashews (can do the same with almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, or peanuts)
4 teaspoons agave syrup (nectar)
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

Place nuts in a large bowl and add water to cover by 2″. Let stand at least 12 hours (this is key for silky, nongritty results; the longer the nuts soak, the smoother the milk will be).

Drain nuts; discard soaking liquid. Purée nuts, agave, salt, and 4 cups very hot water (but not boiling; hot water yields creamier milk) in a blender on high speed until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, pressing down on solids; discard nut pulp. Thin nut milk with water as necessary to reach desired consistency – I added only about a half a cup to keep it creamy. Transfer to airtight container and chill until cold.

DO AHEAD: Nuts can be soaked 2 days ahead; cover. Nut milk can be made 3 days ahead; keep chilled.

1. Posted January 22, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Gah! I’ve been wanting to try this! Maybe you have finally pushed me over the edge to give it a go…

2. Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Thank you for this recipe, Laicie! I only drink almond milk and have been wanting to try making my own (glad to know this recipe also applies to the other nut milks) – and seeing this, now I want to try cashew milk for sure! Mmmm! P.S. Hope you’re having so much fun at Alt! Can’t wait for you to share! xo

3. Posted January 23, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

This is FABULOUS! I can’t wait to give it a whirl. Always wanted to try something like it. 😉

4. Posted January 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I have never even heard of this. Sounds so interesting! (I am hesitant to say good because I don’t much like Almond milk, but I do love some cashews. So, maybe?)
    Also, I love these photos. You are just so good at photography! it’s inspirational 🙂

5. Posted January 23, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Wow, this looks so refreshing! I’m a fan of almond milk, so I know my taste buds are going to be loving this cashew milk. Thank you for sharing!

6. Posted January 24, 2014 at 7:14 am | Permalink

totally impressive, Laicie!! good job!!

7. Posted January 24, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Hope you are having fun at Alt lovely lady! I am also impressed. I have been drinking raw milk for about a year, but would love an alternative some days.

8. Posted January 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Okay. I’ve been on the eternal quest for some good nut milk so I am going to make this the second I get home from traveling. Youda best for posting!

9. Roberta
    Posted March 15, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I tried this………OMG it’s soooo good I’ve been buying Almond and Soy milk from the store because I can’t have dairy,I won’t be doing that anymore thankyou for posting this!!!

Posted March 15, 2014 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Oh I’m so glad you loved it!! I agree, the store bought stuff just isn’t the same! 🙂