My top 6 takeaways from Alt Summit 2014

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you guys… you rock. Thank you again for all of your kind words on my initial Alt reactions last week.

It was so good to hear I’m not alone. But now I think we all can agree that it’s time to take a little action. Here are my top six useable takeaways from Alt Summit 2014…

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
First and foremost — this is the most supportive, wonderful, humble and amazing community out there. Give to it, and it will give twice as much in return. You all are incredible and I am thankful for you every single day.

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
Always say thank you, always follow up, and never forget where you came from. But also, never sell yourself short. Learn to own your accomplishments and talk yourself up.

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
You’ll be happier, and so will your readers. When you write about something you just feel so-so about, they can see through your bs.

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
You might be surprised how close you get.

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
Think about the way you respond emotionally to certain things (think Lisa Frank stickers), and recognize others immediately (Disney font). Now think of your own brand this way. When you share your own emotional connections and nostalgia, chances are someone else out there will feel the same.

alt summit takeaways / a thousand threads
Taking the next step is easier than it might seem. Sometimes you just have to think of things a little more simply.

If you really feel like you need to hire additional help, for example, but you can’t afford it, think about hiring interns. They’ll gain valuable experience, and you’ll have an extra hand or two to take things on.

1. Posted February 4, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

These are fantastic! I really have a hard time thinking of things simply so I really needed this reminder. Thank you so much for sharing Laicie!

Posted February 6, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

I’m so glad to share!! I think we all have a tendency to overcomplicate our work. I totally do ha. šŸ™‚

2. Posted February 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I love love love these! I haven’t had a chance to go to Alt yet, so I have to live vicariously through posts like this one. Such great advice my dear, thanks for sharing!

Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Aww I’m so happy I could help! Can’t wait to see you there one day soon. šŸ™‚

3. Posted February 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

love this summary of Alt (and the cute way you put it together šŸ™‚

Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Aww thank you! šŸ™‚

4. Posted February 4, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

I love these. All so true! Especially the one about passion! The best posts are the genuine ones!

Posted February 6, 2014 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Thanks lady! I agree. šŸ™‚ It always helps to read your own blog in the same way you read others’ blogs (or to try haha) – as a reader, I always appreciate a genuine, heartfelt or even just obviously proud or excited post more than one where the blogger seems so-so about the intention.

One Trackback