52 dates // 8

52 dates // a thousand threads
The date // A hike on the AT.
The place // Annapolis Rock in Boonsboro, MD.
The snacks // Gatorade and pretzel sandwiches (junk food is a necessary addition to any good hike).

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the winters here on the east coast, as one is wont to do when they go through the most disgustingly cold winter in years, and I keep coming back to this guy.

… okay I’ll admit, it’s not quite so dramatic as finding buried food when you’re starving, but there’s something about deprivation that helps us to appreciate what we have (absence makes the heart grow fonder and all of the cliches).

Growing up on the west coast, I always appreciated the summer… it was dry and warm and definitely a whole lot nicer than the rainy rest of the year… but I can’t remember longing for it quite the way I do now. To the point that at the very first sign of spring I want to run out my door and dance with strangers on the street. The cold, long, dark days… banished inside… it’s enough to make anyone scream for their wondrous cheese doodles when they realize they’ve returned.

It’s that cheese doodle feeling that took us outdoors this weekend for a hike through the slushy snow, without a care about mud or frozen feet, bounding and running through the woods, just so damn happy to be somewhere north of 50 degrees and outside…

52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads

1. Posted February 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

What a great date! John and I always feel accomplished when we stroll through Golden Gate Park, whose entrance is located precisely 3 blocks from our house–you put us to shame!

2. Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Looks like a wonderful date to me! I love dates that involve being outdoors, usually hiking! I’ve never gone hiking in the winter/snow before, but you guys have definitely inspired me! I’ll bring the idea up with my bf who will probably shoot it down and think I’m crazy. lol!!!!

Posted February 27, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Haha do it!! It was so much fun! 🙂

3. Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

What fun!! Hiking is always a good time! 🙂

4. Posted February 24, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

You phrased it so eloquently! I completely agree… absence DOES make the heart grow fonder. After being abroad for many lovely weeks, I still find myself yearning for all the things that I love back home. Beautiful pictures!

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Aww I’m sure – being away from Oregon (home) kills me! And the longer I’m away the stronger it is. 🙂 Thank you!!

5. Posted February 25, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I started school in Dahlonega, Georgia, so I spent a lot of time on the AT. This post brought be back.

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Aww I love it!! The AT is so beautiful. I have to see the Georgia portion sometime!! We’ve always wanted to through-hike, but might settle for hitting each portion in chunks. 😉