Easy diy ombré bookcase

diy ombré bookcase // a thousand threads
I love books, and I love books as decor, but I’ll admit I haven’t always been the biggest fan of our bookcase. It’s not bad… it does the job, but it’s a little boring and I don’t know, a little too IKEA in the not-so-awesome sense. So when we recently moved it out into a big, prominent space in our hall, the bookcase’s general blah-ness started to grate on me a little.

So what’s a girl to do with no money for a fancy new piece that could speak for itself? I color-coordinated the crap out of that boring bookshelf to make it stand out all on it’s own.

The whole thing was a bit of an undertaking, but not nearly as crazy as you might think. Here are a few steps and tips I used to make it go as quickly as possible. (I think I was done in around half an hour.)

BORING BOOKCASE
diy ombré bookcase // a thousand threadsdiy ombré bookcase // a thousand threads
1 // First I made a pile of all of the black books, and another of all of the white books. Since they were coming up last, I wouldn’t need them for a while, and that cleared enough space on the shelves to get moving.

2 // Then I started at the top and worked my way down… moving with the rainbow. ROY-G-BIV (red-orange-yellow-green-blue-indigo-violet). Then black, then white.

3 // When I ran into trouble with the height of some books, I just stacked them the other way, like below…

NOT SO BORING BOOKCASE
And that’s it! I think the secret here is just not to obsess too much. The colors don’t have to be a perfect ombré fade, the different shades will mix and match nicely together in one big lump as long as they’re color-coded — same with the different heights. Just throw them all together and see what comes out. Then if you feel like the arrangement needs a tweak or two, you can do it at the end.

1. Posted February 25, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

A little change like this makes quite a difference – love!

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks love!! It really does!

2. Posted February 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

This is ingenious! We’ve spruced up our giant IKEA bookcase with odds and ends–game balls, alligator heads, whiskey–to keep things interesting, but I’d love to play with color coding everything!

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Ohh alligator heads and whiskey… lady, you are my kindred spirit. (As if I needed more proof.) 😉

3. Posted February 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I never thought to do something like this. How clever, and pretty! 🙂
    xo TJ

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks lady!!

4. Posted February 25, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I just did this to my bookshelf and love it! Eye-catching 🙂

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Aww too cool! I’m loving it on mine, it’s definitely an improvement. 🙂

5. Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

this is definitely something i see myself doing very, very soon! I love it! i am a bit crazy about organizing things as it is (although you couldn’t tell right now by the state of my home – in the middle of moving). I love this!

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Haha thanks lady!! Me too! I just love looking at my organized bookcase now it’s such a sick pleasure. 🙂

6. Posted February 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Cute! I love books too! and I painted the back of the bookshelf to give mine a little make over. I have thought about doing the color coated technique but thought I might be to neurotic about keeping the books in order.

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Oh cute! Try it, who knows, it might be easier than you think!

7. Posted February 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

wow! A perfect example of creativity and effectiveness without spending a penny! Great!

mariquitina
    xoxo

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Eee thank you!! That’s just how I felt! I’m always looking for a way to spruce up the house for free. 🙂

8. Posted February 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Great idea! I always struggle with bookcases because I like things visually to be neat and clean. This is a great solution to try.

Posted February 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

I know how you feel!! I’m glad you like it!

9. Posted February 28, 2014 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Ahh I need to do this! It makes such a difference and is just so visually pleasing.