Citrus hot pot home scent

citrus hot pot home scent // a thousand threads
After a long, cold winter stuck inside, the house feels so stuffy — I long to open up the windows and let in the fresh air. But when it’s still around 20 degrees, there’s no other option but to find another way to make the air feel fresh.

This citrus boil is the perfect solution.

citrus hot pot home scent // a thousand threadscitrus hot pot home scent // a thousand threads
Even though citrus is the best in the winter, something about the smell screams fresh, warm air to me.

It takes less than 5 minutes to get this boil going and the amazing smell will last for hours… it might not be quite the same as a fresh, warm spring breeze, but it’s definitely the next best thing.

citrus hot pot home scent // a thousand threads
Citrus hot pot home scent

Grapefruit, oranges, and other winter citrus
Fresh ginger
2 bay leaves

Put everything in a big pot and cover by 2-3 inches with water. Put on the stove on high until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce by half to simmer. Leave until your home smells citrusy and fresh.

P.S. Happy Fat Tuesday!! How about a sazerac?

1. Posted March 4, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

This sounds heavenly–and I bet it smells even better!

2. Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Huh! Interesting! I am not one for the citrus smell, but this is a great idea!

3. Posted March 5, 2014 at 4:20 am | Permalink

This sounds absolutely perfect! I love winter citrus, and I just happen to have a spare grapefruit lying around…

4. Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Oooh I bet this smells incredible, and it’ll help me cut down on my candle addiction!

5. Posted March 5, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

This is a genius idea! And these photos belong in a magazine!

xo

Michaela

6. Posted March 7, 2014 at 6:52 am | Permalink

I have never thought about doing this! Incredible.

Sophie x