52 dates // 11

52 dates // a thousand threads
The date // Pickling eggs.
The place // Home in the snow!
The reason // Stir crazy taken to a whole new level… oh, and St. Patrick’s Day, right?

Here we are, inside again in the snow! But making the best of it by pickling our little beet-red hearts out…

52 dates // a thousand threads
Okay, so it’s not just the snow. Our plan to pickle eggs together actually goes back to our last night in New Orleans, when we found ourselves at a cute little bar with the best farm fresh charcuterie platter. It included something I still can’t believe I’d never had — a pickled egg.

Mark is used to pickled eggs — since apparently they’re a lot more common in bars here and just up north in Pennsylvania they’re pretty much an institution. But somehow I’d managed to miss out, and it was love at first bite.

We vowed to make some of our own as soon as we got home… and our cold snowy Sunday seemed like just the right time.

52 dates // a thousand threads52 dates // a thousand threads
Unfortunately we came home with the wrong beets, so our solution came out a little less traditionally pretty and red. But that doesn’t mean they’ll be any less tasty — I can’t wait to break them open and see how they turned out!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Have you ever had pickled eggs? Or maybe even pickled them yourself? They’d be the perfect addition to a St. Patrick’s Day meal.

52 dates // a thousand threads

1. Posted March 17, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

John and I were just talking about pickling eggs last night!

2. Posted March 17, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

I have never had pickled eggs, but I’m totally intrigued. What a fun date night! Was it difficult?? I’d love to try!

Posted March 17, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

No it was so easy!! Just soft boil the eggs, prep the broth, put them both together and wait! We used a recipe from Food Republic online. :)

3. Posted March 17, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I heard about you guys getting more snow! Crazy! Hopefully it doesn’t make it’s way up here, but it’s still really cold! And pickled eggs? I wonder how that tastes! Now I’m curious and really want to try! Hope your week is starting off great, Laicie!

4. Posted March 18, 2014 at 2:48 am | Permalink

My boyfriend adores pickled egg, and I’ve never tried, though I love anything with vinaigrette. It’s on the tick list :)

Sophie x

5. Posted March 18, 2014 at 6:44 am | Permalink

that sounds so fun! I’ve never had a pickled egg either, but I usually love pickled everything. would love to give this a try

6. Posted March 18, 2014 at 7:32 am | Permalink

I’ve never had pickled eggs, but I love everything else pickled, maybe I’ll have to try them! Looks like you guys had fun, despite being stuck inside by the snow. Here’s hoping spring comes soon! :)