Setting a workday schedule (so you can relax)

breathe // a thousand threads
I’ll admit, lately I’ve been repeating that phrase a lot, trying to remind myself to take a break. When you’ve got a lot going on, it can be easy to fall into the busy trap and never stop to come up for air. And I’m always looking for a way to squeeze just that much more in — which can be terrible if you fill the available time with more work, but amazing if you use that free time to take a breath and enjoy a few moments of silence. So, in honor of silence, here’s one new way I’ve managed to squeak out a little extra time, and leave work at work.

By setting a schedule and sticking to it, I’m able to cut down on a lot of the distractions I’d normally get lost in — Pinterest, I’m looking at you. And once I’ve ticked everything off the list, that’s it. I can stop and relax, knowing that everything is done.

Of course each day varies with its own more specific tasks, but with my work flow all laid out I’m able to concentrate on my to do list and actually get something done, instead of falling into the black hole of social media that can suck me in for hours.

MY WORKDAY SCHEDULE

Morning //
// Finish anything urgent or on a tight deadline.
// Read the news, catch up, and schedule tweets for the day. (30 minutes)
// Post blog post to Google+, Facebook, and Pinterest. (5 minutes)

Daytime //
// DO NOT continue to stare at social media. It’s hands off for now.
// Respond to ALL email. (30 minutes)
// Get shit done. (Exactly how it’s worded in my schedule.)

Evening //
// Read blogs, say hi to friends. (30 minutes)
// Play on Pinterest. (30 minutes)

For me, this schedule runs from train time in the morning to train time at night (the biggest part of my commute). Once I’m home, I usually circle back to work on the blog — such is the life — but if I’ve stuck to my schedule I can do it without any worries hanging over my head from the day. I know I have my emails out of the way, my social media under control, and I’ve made a big dent in the rest of my work. If there’s something left over, it can wait until the next day when I’ll do it all again.

1. Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Wonderful post! This was super motivational for me. We have similar duties throughout the day and I love how you break them down (especially the 30 minute blog reading and Pinterest). Taking tips from this 🙂

Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

So glad to hear it helped, Lauren!!

2. Posted March 26, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I really admire this schedule, what a wonderful post!! Things have been way more than crazy around here and I desperately need to set a schedule. I love this. Thank you!

3. Posted March 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Yesterday I made what seemed like a daunting list of all the work and blog business I needed to get done (usually I just leave the blog stuff in a murky unrecorded state). While it was a little daunting at 8am, by 3pm I realized I could actually read a book for a few hours like I’d hoped–instead of being afraid I was forgetting something!

4. Posted March 26, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

What a lovely schedule! I’m the absolutely worst when it comes to taking breaks. I ate lunch at 4 on Monday. Way to go for getting yourself all organized.

5. Posted March 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I really wish I could stick to a schedule and be organized like you are. I have actually found I worker harder in chaos. so weird.

6. Victoria | Oh So Pretty
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Gosh, you’re so good, Laicie! I need to get myself together, make a schedule and STICK to it!!

7. Posted March 29, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I love seeing the work schedule of other people and how they divide up their work 🙂
    xo TJ