DIY silk tie dyed Easter eggs

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads
I’ve always had a little bit of an obsession with untraditional Easter eggs. Drawn on, painted on, glittered and taped… whatever you can think of, I’m usually down. As a kid, I spent every April with a big ball of wax and what looked like a chemistry kit — I had the coolest Ukrainian eggs on the block.

(Insert jealous oohs and ahhs here.)

This year I thought about pulling out the kit, strutting my fancy stuff for the family (I know they would’ve died of excitement) but then I started wondering… what else is out there in the world of eggs? What if there’s something super cool I haven’t tried? Something I haven’t even heard of!

And — much to my delight — the answer was yes. There was something cool I hadn’t even heard of.

As it turns out, you can die eggs with nothing more than a silk tie and a big pot of water. (Okay you need like two more things, but my mind is blown.) It’s easy, they look great — and if you’re doing it with kids, they’ll love that they get to unwrap the finished eggs like a present.

There’s also a slight chance that this project might afford you an excuse to do a little thrifting.

What I’m saying is that I can see absolutely zero reason not to drop everything and do this right now.

Okay well maybe you need the instructions first… (but then really, thrifting… go.)

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads
DIY silk tie dyed Easter eggs

What you’ll need:
A dozen eggs
3-5 silk ties
Old pillowcase or other white cotton
Rubber bands
1/4 cup white vinegar

1 // Head to Goodwill and pick up some silk ties — don’t be picky, it’s hard to tell what they’ll look like once they’ve dyed your eggs, and sometimes the ugly ones are the best!

Just make sure they’re 100 percent silk. And while you’re there, pick up an old white pillowcase.

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads
2 // Cut your silk ties and your pillowcase into squares large enough to fit around an egg.

3 // Wrap your silk tie first, putting the front side flat against the egg. Wrap tight and secure with a rubber band (like above).

4 // Then wrap your white cloth around and do the same.

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads
5 // Place all eggs in a large pot.

6 // Fill pot with water 2″ above the eggs, add vinegar.

Tip: If you have it handy, weigh your eggs down with a colander or the lid of a smaller pot, they’ll want to float to the top.

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads
7 // Bring to a boil and simmer for around 30 minutes.

8 // Remove carefully and place in a bowl of cold water and ice.

9 // Unwrap! Enjoy the surprise.

diy silk dyed easter eggs // a thousand threads

1. Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

this is awesome! totally want to do this :)

2. Leanna
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

So cool!!!!!

3. Posted April 1, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Super awesome tutorial! These turned out fabulous!

4. Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

whaaat?! I didn’t know that the color could just come off with water and vinegar – so cool! I’m definitely going to have to try something like this. It’s even better with thrifted ties from like, the 70’s. Those prints and patterns are the best!

5. Posted April 2, 2014 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Ha ha brilliant! Now I just need to find some silk ties…

Sophie x

6. Posted April 2, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Your blog feels like a little getaway!

Posted April 3, 2014 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, Olivia! Your comment made my day. :)

7. Posted April 3, 2014 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Genius! Such a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

8. Posted April 5, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

This is such a killer idea!!! I have no words!! (Well.. The words I used don’t describe my incredible amazement..) I’m in awe.. The things I will do with this concept!! So excited. Thank you for sharing this and all your other fantastic creativity!! I feel so blessed to have come across this post :) KUDOS GURRRRL!!!

9. Kelly Ludwig
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Can you eat the eggs after this process?

Posted April 9, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

You totally can — I’d recommend boiling for a little less time though for a better hard boiled egg. You’ll sacrifice some of the richness of the color, since the longer you simmer the deeper it will get, but if you simmer them a long time the yolk will start to get a little hard.

Hope this helps!!

10. Posted April 15, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

This is too cool! But can I just ask, how did someone even first think to do this?? “Hmm let’s try putting tie material on an egg and boiling it! That should do something…” I dunno, maybe they were silk tie experts…I thought I was creative but Ithis idea never would have occurred to me!

Posted April 15, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Haha you’re so right — who would ever even think of this. And why doesn’t the color rub off more easily on other things? So many questions.

3 Trackbacks

• By Weekly Reader 04.04.14 | Hands Occupied on April 7, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] weightlifter eggs -by wilma bunny milk carton planters -17 apart silk-dyed easter eggs -a thousand threads brown bag easter baskets -lia griffith embroidered needle felted […]

• By Found. Easter Egg DIYs. – To Live Beautifully on December 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm

[…]  //  2  //  3  //  4  //  5  //  6  //  7  //  8  //  9  //  10  // […]

• By Friday Link Love - Two Places at Once on May 19, 2015 at 8:24 pm

[…] these flourless brownies from Averie Cooks Make this goat cheese and brussels sprouts pizza Craft these tie dyed Easter eggs from A Thousand Threads Find some […]