52 dates // 14

wayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threads
The date // A visit to Wayne White’s exhibit at York College.

“Follow your heart, and your pleasure in art. Don’t do what you think is going to be making you money, or what you’re parents want you to do, or what that beautiful girl or guy thinks you should be doing. Do what you love. It’s going to lead to where you want to go. Go out there and make the world more beautiful. I know you can.” — Wayne White, “Beauty is Embarrassing

Mark and I have both been so inspired by Wayne White’s life and work that when we heard he would be doing a one month residency at York College, just a little over an hour up the road, we knew we had to go. Wayne himself gave a talk on Wednesday that I’m sad we couldn’t make, but I was ecstatic just to get to see his exhibit.

We went late on Saturday — meaning we were a little late to see his new Civil War exhibit (we’ll have to make another trip of it — maybe with Austin next time), but also meaning we had the whole place to ourselves…

wayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threadswayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threadswayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threadswayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threadswayne white exhibit // 52 dates // a thousand threads
In short — it was amazing. White’s work really blows me away, and it was incredible to be able to get up close and personal with so many pieces in a place like York, where things move a little more slowly — quietly, untouched by pretension — and White’s work both stands out like a sore thumb and fits like a glove.

On the way home, we dreamed about the future and plotted our course to the path less traveled. Because we both know we’ll only get there if we jump, and I think we both agree it’s time we did.

1. Posted April 7, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Oh wow, wish i could see more!! it looks really god

2. Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

What an incredible exhibit–and it seems to have made quite an impression!

3. Posted April 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

What a beautiful quote. I’m an actor, so that definitely resonates with me.

Sophie x

4. Posted April 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

i love this series!

5. Posted April 7, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

sounds like a lovely date, and a lovely drive home as well!

6. Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

You know I see this and think, we should get out to museums and galleries far more than we do! It’s so easy to settle for what the internet gives us, but stimulating the mind with art or music or reading can be so refreshing. Thanks for the inspiration, friend!

7. Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Looks like a great exhibit!

8. Posted April 9, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

What a great exhibit (thanks for sharing photos of it), and reminder … I so need to visit more museums (I tend to hibernate in the winter, haha). The end of your trip sounds like a great beginning as you both talked about dreams and taking a leap (go for your dream with full heart!).