Easy DIY stone planter

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
There’s no denying that I have a black thumb. Generally, only cacti are strong enough to withstand my horrible wrath. So I usually rely on Mark to keep our plants alive, including our annual tomato growth that grew up so healthy and strong last year that it took over the whole entry to our house. We (because even if I don’t do the work I definitely still take the credit) were so proud.

So, bolstered by our success, this year we’ve decided to take on two tomato plants. But that meant that we needed a new planter, and those things can be super expensive, especially if you want something nice. So we decided to get a little creative.

Mark brought home 4 pieces of stone and a caulking gun and we went to work gluing those babies together, just hoping that our little experiment wouldn’t fall apart as soon as we put in the soil.

Happily though, the result was as strong as can be — good looking too! And it was such an easy project, I’m already dreaming up even more diy planters for our home. Inside, outside, I’m so in love with this one I just might have to do it all!

Follow along below for instructions on how to make your own. You can use any stone, any size, just as long as they all fit together, and the process is easy as can be…

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
1 // Gather the materials above. You can use any stone you like, just make sure you buy a tube of adhesive that says it’s meant for stone. We only used 4 pieces because we’re placing the planter in dirt and we think we’re super clever (it’s just like planting it in the ground, right? okay maybe not… we don’t really know). But if you’d like to have a bottom on your planter (which ya, that makes sense) you should use 5. Just glue your bottom on last.

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
2 // Glue one edge of your first piece and line it up against your second. (See above.)

3 // Pieces should form a 90 degree angle, use a right angle to make sure they’re lined up correctly.

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
4 // Caulk your two pieces on the inside.

5 // Place two pieces of tape horizontally across the seam on the outside of the two pieces.

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
6 // Repeat the steps above until you have a square. Pieces should line up like above, with each new piece glued and lined up inside the last. Your last piece will be glued on both ends to attach to both the third and first pieces.

It should look something like this…

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
7 // Let sit for 24 hours to dry.

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
8 // Test to make sure your glue is dry, then peel off tape and fill your planter with soil. You’re ready to go!

easy diy stone planter // a thousand threadseasy diy stone planter // a thousand threadseasy diy stone planter // a thousand threads
Keep your fingers crossed for our little crop! I’m thinking as long as I stay away from them from here on out, they’ll be just fine.

1. Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

This is absolutely brilliant! i’m in love! wish we had a garden though!

Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Aww you could always make a little one and squeeze it in somewhere! šŸ™‚

2. Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I think your tomato plants are going to love their new home šŸ™‚ Love this project!

Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you!! I hope they do. šŸ™‚

3. Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

wow, it’s really gorgeous…such pretty stone! I love when outdoor plants are planted together in a nice big pot like this, rather than in individual pots. If only I had a garden…

Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Aww we just have the pots! Maybe you can squeeze one in somewhere. šŸ˜‰ Thanks lady!

4. Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I’m hopeless with planting, so this year I opted for ceramic plants that can be dipped in essential oils for aroma, but this project looks amazing! Maybe I’ll try it next year, thanks! šŸ˜€ -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

5. Posted May 9, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Just found this through craftgawker. I love the simple elegance of this planter. I’ve never used a planter without a bottom. Are you concerned about the soil washing away? Or is it placed in a garden bed so it acts more like a miniature raised bed?

Posted May 9, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, Laurie!! I’m glad you did. šŸ™‚ We do have the planter in a garden bed. I think if I was placing the planter on the ground I would definitely attach a bottom (just caulk around one side and glue a fifth piece on last). And if you’re concerned about drainage a couple of small holes with a drill should do the trick. I hope you try it out!! I’m loving ours so much, it was the perfect solution for our space.

• Posted May 10, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Aha, thanks for the clarification. And I see now that if I had read your instructions instead of just looking at the pictures I would have known that from the start.

6. En
    Posted May 10, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Where/when do you use the adhesive?

Posted May 10, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Hey En, you need to use the adhesive to attach each tile to the other. Let me know if the pictures and instructions above aren’t clear!

7. Posted June 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Nice work–it looks so good!

8. Stargazer
    Posted March 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Too heavy.

9. Linda Simpson
    Posted March 7, 2015 at 8:45 am | Permalink

No need to drill holes for drainage….just don’t put a continuous bead of adhesive on the bottom piece…..leave gaps with no adhesive and the excess moisture will seep out nicely!

Posted March 7, 2015 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Awesome point, Linda!! Thanks for sharing!!

10. Sarah Madden
    Posted March 21, 2015 at 3:10 am | Permalink

This is a GREAT project, but I think Step 2 needs to include instructions to use the adhesive as well as the caulk. Some people might forget to use adhesive and be surprised when the planter falls apart. Your instructions read this way: “Caulk one edge of your first piece and line it up against your second. (See above.)” Maybe you could say “Glue one edge ,,,” instead of “Caulk one edge ,,,” — and then add another step that tells them to caulk the seams. I’m definitely going to try making this planter!!!! And I love the no-bottom look for use in my garden.

Posted March 22, 2015 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Sarah, you’re so right! Thank you for catching that!! I’ll be sure to make the change now.

3 Trackbacks