Thirty

turning thirty // a thousand threads
I’ve been putting this annual birthday post off, partly because I’ll actually be away next week on my birthday, and partly because I don’t think I’ve quite had the time to let the whole 30 thing sink in.

For most of my life I’ve assumed that the inevitable approach of that birthday that’s not the new black would be terrible. But then, I’ve made a lot of assumptions over the years, and most of them turned out to be far from the truth.

At 20, if I didn’t think I’d be running the world by 35, I at least thought I’d be pretty well on my way.

I assumed I’d get a good job straight out of college. I assumed my first marriage would stick. I assumed I was analytical – as opposed to creative – and would be satisfied with a purely analytical job.

At 20, I tried very hard to fit myself into a box. I assumed that if I was one thing, I couldn’t be another.

I thought I had to choose. But at 30, I still can’t.

The difference is that now I’d never try.

I love politics and the issues I work on during the day. Surprises like the majority leader’s defeat and the ongoing shakeup in Washington give me an almost childlike thrill. I love to dig deeply into a subject and try to understand its inner workings, to monitor negotiations in Iran and attempt, somehow, to predict an outcome… but I also love to spend the whole day in the kitchen surrounded by a mess, with scorched hands and sore feet, creating something I can touch and feel. And I love to see the joy on someone’s face when they take their first bite.

I love to write about foreign policy, feelings, and completely frivolous things, and I love to write about each of them equally.

I love food, and music, and fashion, and the way my body feels after a 20 mile run. I love books, and silly magazines, and the genius of truly effective propaganda.

I love my husband, my second try and my final everything. I love who I am when he’s near. And I love our little family that will someday grow.

I love my work, and I love being with them at home. I love when there’s no work at all.

I love my self. I love the confidence I’ve gained in my still very short time on this earth, the woman I’ve become and the one I’m still yet to be. I love my successes, and my failures, and everything that’s brought me here to this still stumbling, searching, wandering through the dark toward the tiniest spec of light life that I’m leading right now.

I love that I have the strength to stand up and say that the medication I’m on doesn’t make me weak. That I am stronger when I’m not held hostage by my fears.

I love (at least some of) my body, and the way it carries me through even the longest days. I love my father’s nose, my sister’s smile, and my mother’s worried soul that keep the ones I love close when they’re so far away.

And I love that at 30, though I wish I’d learned it sooner, I know that nothing is certain. That there are no assumptions to be made. No one can fit into that box, and I don’t have to be any one thing to any one person, especially myself.

When I was 20, I thought maybe I’d become a lawyer, because then I’d be a success.

At 30, it’s not money or power or the things I own that define the success I feel I’ve had. It’s the love of the people around me.

I still don’t have it all figured out, not even close. And maybe I never will. But at 30, that’s so much more okay than it ever was before.

1. Posted June 13, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Happy early birthday! (and great post, as always!)

Posted June 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you!! xo

2. Posted June 13, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Read every word — loved this post! Happy early birthday! 🙂

Posted June 13, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks lady!! We need to get together again soon. 🙂

3. Sandra Louisa St. Hilaire
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Laicie,

I helped you pick out an outfit for ALT conference when you were at Anthropologie with your husband the other night. I have been browsing your beautiful blog all afternoon. I’m so glad you all came in, and I hope you have a great time in Utah. Happy Birthday!

-Sandra

Posted June 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Aww Sandra I’m so glad you came to the blog!! Thank you so much for your help I don’t know what I would’ve done without you! And I’m so excited to wear my outfit!!

4. Posted June 13, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday! I agree, turning 30 is a bit of a mind trip, but a nice one. I turned 30 a few months back and am somehow more at peace with myself than ever before. Good luck with your talk!

5. Posted June 13, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

hey birthday lady! you are full of surprises. as cliche as it sounds, you are truly beautiful inside and out, and i can’t wait to see what’s in the bag for us readers in the upcoming years!!

6. Posted June 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

You, and this post, are absolutely amazing. I hope your birthday is, too.

7. Posted June 15, 2014 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

This is beautiful. For so many reasons – beautiful. I especially love how you said “I love the confidence I’ve gained in my still very short time on this earth, the woman I’ve become and the one I’m still yet to be.” I echo this is no many ways! My prayer is that God will help e in both of those areas! That God will continue to provide me with confidence and that I will hold tightly to the confidence I have gained through these years.

8. Posted June 16, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Wishing you the happiest birthday 🙂 I beyond adore this post and I can relate to so many things you’ve said.
    xoxohannah

9. Posted June 16, 2014 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Happy birthday, Laicie! I dreaded 30 for the longest time, but now I’m actually looking forward to 40 (next summer, but it’s on the radar!). I feel more confident in and comfortable with myself every single year!

10. Posted June 17, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

What an insightful post–it gave me some great things to think about! And happy belated birthday!

11. Posted June 13, 2015 at 2:29 am | Permalink

Goodness, this is so beautiful! I adhere to all you are saying here. No one should have to be one thing right? We are so many things at once and that makes us unique creatures, each and every one of us. Thank you for sharing! Also, love your pants and your job seems so cool to me. I worked in DC for four months as an intern at the Dutch public radio and tv and found everything so fascinating. 🙂

2 Trackbacks

• By 52 dates // 25 | A Thousand Threads on June 23, 2014 at 12:51 pm

[…] to make the 3 hour drive down to Staunton. But given that we pretty much forgot to celebrate that whole birthday thing (and let’s be honest, Father’s Day before it) we were overdue for a little […]

• By 3 years / How are we doing? | A Thousand Threads on July 17, 2014 at 1:45 pm

[…] we already talked about my birthday, but did you know that this little blog will turn exactly 3 years old this […]