My top 5 takeaways from Alt

top 5 takeaways from alt // a thousand threads
I may have missed a few panels, but I still managed to walk away with some serious knowledge and inspiration that I can’t wait to put to good use. Here are my top 5 takeaways from Alt Summer 2014…

1 // Follow up. This internal case study from Megan Gilger was a real eye-opener for me. There are so many more things I could be doing to follow up after a campaign, both internally and with the brand.

2 // Get clear about the life you want, and run like hell at it. We were reminded over and over (and this is maybe one of the most awesome things about Alt) that we are so not alone. Success is about hard work and no sleep, you have to be relentless.

3 // Post to social media at 10, 12, and 4 every day. That’s when the most folks are available on both coasts. (Full disclosure: This advice came from Susan Peterson, who I think we can all agree knows exactly what she’s talking about, but I’m not sure which time zone she’s referring to. I do, however, find that 10-4 east coast time is my most active on Twitter.)

4 // Take advantage of “monetizable moments.” This is another one from the Alt panel on working with brands. Sure having a baby and getting married are moments to seize (I’m reminded of Joy the Baker’s tongue in cheek food blogger tip #3) but what about travel, shopping for a new home, and other big events? Not that it’s a requirement, but I haven’t always used these to the best of their ability.

5 // Set aside one day a month to dream big. I’m always dreaming, but I love the idea of setting some dedicated time aside.

P.S. See my top 6 takeaways from January’s Alt Summit here.

1. Posted June 25, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Awesome tips! I particularly like the dedicated dream time šŸ™‚

Posted June 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

That one is definitely my favorite. šŸ™‚ Thanks Jacquelyn!

2. Posted June 26, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing these great tips! I’m going to try the 10, 12 and 4 schedule!

3. Posted June 26, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Awesome tips! Would you be willing to elaborate on point #1? I’d love to know more about what you learned in regards to following up! šŸ™‚

Posted June 30, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks Stacia! Do you think a follow-up post would be helpful? Essentially, the panelists stressed the importance of reaching out to thank your sponsors and also to let them know how the campaign went, since only you have access to most of the specific stats. Often we don’t do that kind of thing, I think, because we’re worried it won’t be enough, or they haven’t asked so we don’t think to… but I think it really shows you’re willing to go the extra mile and makes you stand out from the crowd.

4. Posted June 27, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

This is great… I’m just going to have to go to Alt myself one of these days! šŸ™‚

Posted June 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

You are!! Hope to see you there. šŸ™‚

5. Posted June 30, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Seriously wonderful tips. Thank you for sharing them!! Also, I would love to hear more about what you learned re: following up (like Stacia mentioned above). That’s something I struggle with, but still think it is crazy important!

Posted June 30, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kaarin!! The panel stressed the importance of following up with sponsors after a campaign, both to thank them, and to tell them how the campaign went. For example, what the reach was, what kind of reaction in received on social media, etc. Would a post on the subject be helpful, do you think?

6. Posted June 30, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Yes! Would love to read a post like that if you feel like writing it! I haven’t read about that subject on other blogs – think it is such an important step that gets dismissed most of the time.