Small business diaries // DU update

small business diaries // du update // a thousand threads
Things have been moving along so quickly with Dough Uprising that I’ve barely had a chance to stop and catch you up, so today I thought I’d do just that.

It’s not that we’ve taken any major new steps – actually even our website is still sort of in flux – but after a couple of months at the market, we now know for sure that we have a product we can sell. In fact, we’ve sold out or come close almost every week.

Of course, we’ve also gotten a lot better at guessing what it is we really need. Our first week was almost comical. We knew our current market was small, so we guessed at what small felt like to us, and we were oh so wrong. Turns out small is actually pretty big — close to our capacity in our little home oven.

So when we move to the markets in DC (which we hope to do next season) there’s no doubt in our minds that we’ll need to be cooking in a commercial kitchen.

But that’s where we come to our current hangup. Technically right now we could expand, easily. We have offers from multiple other markets where we’d love to be selling on other days of the week. And if we were to move to those markets we could probably make enough money to allow one of us to take it full time — for the summer.

The problem comes when summer ends. Sure the holidays should be great for pies, but then we don’t have much of an outlet from January to April or May. The reality is that it looks like our next step will need to be open a store front downtown, or open a store front on wheels. And that requires a big investment.

So at this point, we’re still plotting out our next steps… and while I’m sad that it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to tackle that big step right away, I’m so excited to know that it’s even an option.

There are, truly, a lot of ways this could have gone. Mark and I thought our pie rocked, but that didn’t mean everyone else would agree.

We’re lucky that they do. And for now, even if we have to stay small a little longer, I think that’s enough.

1. Posted July 3, 2014 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Wish I was closer so that I could taste one of these pies. They look and sound amazing!!!

Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Wish you were too!!

2. Posted July 3, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink

this is so exciting! i love hearing about how others are making their dreams come true. you rock! next time i’m in DC i’m gonna need some of that pie πŸ˜‰

Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Aww you have to let me know when you are!!

3. Posted July 3, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

So happy your pies are doing well at the markets! I mean, duh πŸ™‚ Maybe having a pie truck (how cute would that be!) would work for the colder months?

Posted July 3, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Thanks lady. πŸ˜‰

And we’re thinking about it! Haha actually if I gave Mark the go-ahead he’d have one in a second. So, I’m thinking about it.

4. Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Have you thought about seeing if you could do something at the LivingSocial building on F St.? I know they host a variety of pop-up restaurants/cooking classes/etc. so maybe they could be a place you could make and/or sell your pies occasionally during the market off-seasons? Not sure how the whole thing works, but it may be something worth looking into πŸ™‚

Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

That’s an awesome idea, I didn’t know they did that. Thanks Meg!

• Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome! Happy to help support local small businesses, especially when they involve pie πŸ˜‰

5. Posted July 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

What wonderful news–here’s to making your next big move when it’s time, and enjoying the success!

6. Posted July 4, 2014 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Hope everything turns out exactly as you want it! keep up the awesome work and i’m sure it will!

7. Posted July 4, 2014 at 8:18 am | Permalink

My husband informed me last night that LivingSocial actually closed that building a couple months ago. I didn’t know πŸ™ Sorry! Hope you find another solution that works for you.